Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Prop Time

It looks like it may be time to purchase a new prop for my old Cessna 172d. The annual is being done at the moment, but the engineer has queried the prop and thinks it may not be in a fit enough state to get through an overhaul. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to buy a new one or a second hand one that has been overhauled by an EASA shop? My current prop in a MCCAULEY 1C172/EM7653.

I am going to send my current prop to an overhaul shop. I am hoping they would be able to let me know whether it can be overhauled or not at quite an early stage of the process.

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

My advice would be to see if you can fit a Sensenich prop which have no life limits by referring to TCD. The Mccauley needs a 6 year overhaul which means a paint strip and re profiling which ultimately means a reduction in size leading to eventual failed dimension check.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

You might as well consider an upgrade to a constant-speed prop with MT Propeller’s MTV-12, which has an STC for C172D. I suspect @Pilot_DAR may have something to say on that.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 07 Jun 15:49
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

#DavidA
I just checked the TCD and the Sensenich website and if you have the O-300 engine fitted it looks as if you could fit a Sensenich 74DR propeller.
If you’re based in the UK (G reg) then it would be difficult to fit a propeller by STC as STC’s are at the moment only allowed on Annexe 2 aircraft.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

Yes it is on a G reg. Was there some talk about EASA allowing STCs on private use only aircrafts? It is also a 0-300 engine.

Last Edited by DavidA at 07 Jun 19:01
D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

What do you mean by STCs not being allowed? The STC in question is an EASA one, and MT Propeller is a European company, too.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 07 Jun 19:59
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The Mccauley needs a 6 year overhaul

Probably more correct to say that it is recommended which in Europe means it is required regardless of condition.

EGTK Oxford

Probably more correct to say that it is recommended which in Europe means it is required regardless of condition.

Not under D-reg. Propellers can be operated on condition indefinitely.

The prop is bing sent for overhaul next week. I had a look at the MTV-12, but I think the initial purchase price may be a little too high. Thanks for your comments and advice.

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message