Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PR1422 discontinued

Life as we know it has come to an end…

It is replaced by PR1440 which comes only in a Semkit package, which ensures that even if you want a tiny amount, you waste the entire £30 pack.

1422 used to come in a tin so you could mix just what you needed.

What idiot thought this up?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Un-opened shelf-life is just 6 months, which means it often is almost due when you receive it. Opened shelf life is just 2 or 3 days, so you will always waste most of it, even when using the two container option.

Besides that, you will still be able to buy it in to containers. That LAS just offers the semkit doesn’t mean no other suppliers can supply it.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The instructions on my 1422 pack say storage life is at least 9 months at +5C to +27C when unopened. There is no guidance on shelf life after opening.

I have a 1422 pack dated July 2014 which has been opened several times and is a bit thick now, and I would not use it for anything critical, but it still adheres and sets as well as before.

In GA maintenance, I see 1422 packs being repeatedly opened during their shelf life…

There is much stuff on google about how to determine whether the past-date stuff is usable. There is a Boeing document which authorises multiple 3-month extensions based on condition. It looks like loads of people are wasting the packs (usually Semkits) and are getting fed up with it.

Does aybody sell it, or a similar stuff, in small packs? I can find only Semkits now, except from the USA and very pricey, and Semkit means the 200 quid dispenser.

Administrator

Andair will include a small amount of it with their products but of course that means buying one of their products!

Forever learning
EGTB

There are alternatives from a French manufacturer, available in small semkits. I don’t remember the name but it’s very good, used it several times.

I bought the semkit pack, about 30 quid, and wasted approx 99.9% of it on the one job

The pack doesn’t need a dispenser! You just poke the supplied rod into the end, to push out the catalyst, and then move the piston up and down while turning it until it’s all uniform colour. It helps to wear latex gloves because the stuff does squeeze out from various orifices Messy stuff, but a boy engineer is always making a mess

Then I discovered that my ~1 year out of date PR1422 tin+catalyst kit is actually perfectly usable, so long as you dig deep down into the tin. I wouldn’t use it on something critical like a fuel tank, but it does stick to everything just like it should, including everything you didn’t want it to stick to So I think the shelf life issue is well overdone. One could probably keep it in a freezer for years.

Administrator
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message