Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

Peter wrote:

and install a box like this

That picture is not of the 9000+ box. The processor and analog electronics are all inside the transponder, no other box needed. It has a built in dual frequency ADS-B, TAS logic, 1090ES transponder, integrated WAAS GPS, small form MFD. They interface to the same MFD that support the Skywatch. A very compact design.

http://l-3lynx.com/lynx-models/#NGT-9000plus
KUZA, United States

NCYankee – do you mean the active TAS functionality is also in that one slide-in transponder box, and all one needs is the one (big) antenna?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not NCYankee, but Yes, Peter, I have told you that above! So hard to believe? ;-)

Not NCYankee, but Yes, Peter, I have told you that above! So hard to believe? ;-)

No, you wrote this gobbledygook

The first three are correct. Yes I get ADSB traffic + Mode C traffic with Azimuth, just like before. I DO NOT need that box (NGT-1000), only the LYNX 9000+

Administrator

Gee … that one was easy to understand. You do not need the little golden box (which is called the NGT-1000) – only the Lynx NGT 9000+ and you will get both the ADSB traffic and mode C traffic (like the Skywatch).

Other than that: it would be more fun to explain this to you three times if you were polite.

Last Edited by at 01 Sep 20:04

The Lynx setup is pretty straight forward:
Single Box
1 Directional Antenna for TAS – either NY164 (the same as for the Skywatch installation) or the NY 156
There are 3 cables required to connect the directional antenna.
The TAS hardware is integrated in every slide in Transponder box and has to be activated via a code.
1 GPS WAAS Antenna oder using antenna splitter from another GPS antenna
1 L-Band antenna

The picture from Achim shows the GPS antenna not the NY 164 – this might have caused part of the confusion

Peter wrote:

NCYankee – do you mean the active TAS functionality is also in that one slide-in transponder box, and all one needs is the one (big) antenna?

Yes. I think the WAAS GPS antenna is included, but the small L band antenna and the big Skywatch antenna are extra. It should be an easy install for someone who already has the big Skywatch antenna.

KUZA, United States

This product should wipe the floor with the existing offerings, which in Europe are the Avidyne and Garmin boxes.

A pity it is 4 years too late for me

Very interesting to me (because this is usually revealing of something) is the zero reports of any installations here, despite it “appearing” over 2.5 years ago. We have had some installers posting on EuroGA over that time and nobody has said anything about it suggesting they have seen it let alone installed it. Hence I wonder if this has actually been a fully working box (especially the active TAS functionality).

This is also an interesting comment in the IM:

Does that compensate for the curved roof, if you have one? It would make it type-specific.

Administrator

The antenna adaptor plates are common-place on larger aircraft such as the KingAir. They are a separate piece of machined metal so don’t change the part number of the antenna. Most light aircraft don’t need an adaptor as they have large flat areas of skin on which to mount the antenna but this is less common on pressurised types.
The Lynx is definitely in service. We’ve quoted a few but not had any takers so far.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Thanks wigglyamp. What would you do on a TB20GT? The whole roof is a curve.

More to the point, if you machine the material away to reveal the ground plane (the correct way to do it) you will still have a curve. I suppose one could machine the material away in the four spots and mount the antenna on brass bushes, and fill the void with silicone sealant. It would look a bit strange. But it might look OK if one machined the surface under the antenna to be flat, but not so deep that it cuts the ground plane mesh. OTOH cutting into the ground plane mesh might be OK because the antenna base is all metal anyway so one doesn’t need the ground plane under the middle of it.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message