Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB Stabilus gas strut identification (and 600N struts and €800 brackets, now available for £65 via EuroGA)

Can someone identify the strut on the photo, and tell me where to buy it? I can’t find the item on the Stabilus web site. The strut is for a gull door.

The number at the bottom reads 768545 0350N, but searching for it does not reveal anything.

Thank you!
-Lucius

United States

I presume you have tried going to www.stabilus.com? I just made a brief visit and it looked to me like it would be a simple matter to procure one from them or one of their distributors.

Forever learning
EGTB

I have some Stabilus contacts here

That one looks like it is 350N which might suggest it is the wrong type anyway. The old TB used 400N struts for the door. The GT uses 600N struts and needs a new bracket on the door which is about $250.

Some of the struts Socata use are customised by Stabilus with nonstandard ends. Of course these could be machined up… they just unscrew, I think. However I have found Socata prices to not be ridiculous on these, and I replace the two front gear struts every year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lucius,

The strut is a Stabilus Lift-o-mat. The part number you have is the Stabilus internal number and correct for a G1 TB.

Stabilus, at least in Germany, does not sell directly. I recently bought a pair via a car parts dealer (www.stahlgruber.de) but I had to wait for about 4 weeks for the struts to arrive as it is not a standard item which is kept in stock. I doubt that Stahlgruber will deliver to the US and I am not familiar with Stabilus’ US-distribution.

However, I paid EUR 23 net for a strut and the Socata-price is EUR 46 net which in aviation terms does not make this a very expensive item. Considering the time you might have to invest to procure this part through other channels you might actually be better off ordering from Socata.

These struts have a.o. been used to hold the hoods of some cars up, notably on some older Porsche-models (don’t know which models exactly though) so you could try your luck at a Porsche dealership but I doubt that it will save you a great deal if you also put some price on your own time.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria
Once again I´d suggest browsing Ebay, type in “Gasdruckdämpfer” or “Stabilo” and you will find thousands of them , that cost very little. You will have to know the size and power of the gas strut roughly, of course to choose a suitable type. Vic

Link

just found this supplier with a good stock of struts, scroll down :
Link

Last Edited by vic at 30 Sep 11:26
vic
EDME

Some of the struts Socata use are customised by Stabilus with nonstandard ends. Of course these could be machined up…

I played this game with the Stabilus strut used for my nose gear, or rather tried to, but the combination of finding the right strut without adequate data and making the end fittings made it easier to buy the (€400 or something) OEM replacement strut. Others in the US with the same type have designed and installed (unapproved) mechanical spring setups which work better than the gas strut.

Another solution is to carefully make the equipment to recharge the struts with a gas cylinder and pressure vessel. Obviously this looks a lot like a bomb in terms of potential hazard but the seals are typically effective only one-way and it can be done if you’re careful.

Another solution is to carefully make the equipment to recharge the struts with a gas cylinder and pressure vessel. Obviously this looks a lot like a bomb in terms of potential hazard but the seals are typically effective only one-way and it can be done if you’re careful.

There is at least one company that does that. I spoke to them on the phone a few weeks ago. It’s cost effective only if you send them a lot in one go.

Administrator

Thank you all. The US Stabilus distributor wants $100. Socata charges $60, so I ordered it from Socata.

United States

My TB20 GT Door Gas Struts need replacing, having been re-gassed before with only partial success. It’s time to fit the uprated 600NM new ones. My existing struts were made in 2000 before the door gas strut mod, so I suspect that I will need the new bracket (TB10 25086103) and struts (ZOO.N7070020001).

Does anyone know if there is a complete kit to do this or are the parts ordered individually? From my own 2005 parts catalogue it looks like the parts are ordered individually.

Has anyone fitted the newer more powerful gas struts?

EGLK, United Kingdom

On a GT, the door struts were always 600N.

This is the bracket. I bought mine from Socata (over £200, way back) and measured them up in case I have to make one:

Administrator
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message