Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need help with CAP 766 - LAMP

I have recommended my hangar mate with a P210 to move from D-reg to G-reg. Now am I responsible for all his problems… :-(

It was no problem to get the machine onto the UK register, that was done one day after getting the certificate of deregistration from the LBA. Now the difficulty is that it needs an approved maintenance program and an ARC. In the UK this is CAP 766 – Light Aircraft Maintenance Program.

I am a bit lost how to do that. The Part 145 here has not done it before for the UK CAA. Does anybody have an approved sample for a SEP? What exactly has to be filled in, how do you change the document (fill in by hand?). What about the non applicable inspections (such as “wooden structure” or “floats”) — ignore them or strike through?

There’s also this instruction document but it creates more questions than it answers.

If anybody could send me his approved LAMP, I would be very grateful!

Any items that are clearly irrelavent to your aircraft can be removed from the program by simply marking them as N/A ( not applicable ).

To the program has to be added all the applicable AD’s and items with a hard life.

SB’s are at the discretion of the owner/ operator but this is a bit of a minefield and should be reviewed with caution as to not do these items might be in the eyes of the civil law be seen as negligence.

I guess the reason for the switch to the UK register is to avoid the SID’s checks and ignoring these items that Cessna consider mandatory falls into the same category as SB’s. A lot of what is in the SID’s checks is very good ageing aircraft engineering and so you must review these to see what is applicable to the way your aircraft is operated. As a company that’s C152’s are operated in the flight training role it is very hard to see any way to not implement the whole SID’s program. If you had a C182RG that flys on average four hour legs with one cycle of the landing gear then this would be a good example of justification to do maintenance on the landing gear less frequently than the SID’s requires as the landing gear is getting less use than the average C182.

After you have reviewed your maintenance requirements you need to find a CAMO they will take a look over your program and if they agree with you they will issue an ARC following a physical inspection of the aircraft.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 12 Jul 17:06

The LAMP is CAMO approved, not CAA approved?

I don’t believe this “you must review these to see what is applicable to the way your aircraft is operated” makes much sense for a private operator of a private leisure aircraft. You want the minimum possible to be imposed by the maintenance program so all you’re looking for is what gets you an approval stamp. One shouldn’t turn maintaining a simple Cessna SEP into a science project…

I would be very thankful for the copy of a LAMP for a SEP, preferably Cessna.

Last Edited by achimha at 12 Jul 17:14

Not exactly……….. The program is published by the CAA as a generic basis for the maintenance of light aircraft, it is for the owner/ operator to interpret this with regard to how they operate their aircraft to comply with the program.

Your CAMO will give you advice and guidance as to how to best do this, they will of course not get involved with anything that they do not think meets the requirements.

The program originated in the days when licensed aircraft engineers were trusted to use there good judgment and experience of aircraft maintenance ( within limits ) to do what was appropriate for that particular aircraft, unfortunately these days are fast disappearing under the pressure from ambulance chasing lawyers and EASA regulators who would not know an oil filter or torque wrench if it bit them on the arse.

So as an owner, do I have to submit my version of the LAMP for approval to the CAA?

I believe that the LAMP implies that it is to be used in conjunction with the aircraft maintenance manual and in the case of Cessna the MM it includes SIDs. So, in my opinion this means that they shall be done.
As A & C has often said that providing the SIDs have been completed when required then the cost and inconvenience can be amortized over several years.
Personally, I would never by a Cessna or any other aircraft unless these maintenance requirements had been done.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

You do not have to have your individual version of LAMP approved by the CAA you just have to use the parts of CAP766 that are applicable to your aircraft plus the AD’s and other items from the maintenance manual and the parts of the SID’s that you have decided to adopt.

UK maintenance is regulated with a much lighter touch than other European States were it would seem you have to get government approval for any thing you do. …….. May be this is why the Brits are so distrustful of EC interference in our day to day lives.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message