Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Displaying approach charts on a G1000

The G1000 can display approach plates if you have a subscription from Jeppesen. The G1000 manual says that this feature (“ChartView™”) is optional, but it is not clear to me if it is just the chart subscription that is optional or if you also need an optional feature in the G1000 system itself.

In other words, can I just take the charts from the appropriate Jeppesen subscription and load them into any G1000 system?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I believe it is a feature that Garmin have to enable. They charge for it.
Whether it is already there on your aeroplane is one to ask Garmin about.

Garmin also offer a much cheaper service than Jeppesen for a chart display on G1000 and it is now available in Europe. It uses the charts from EASA (maybe it’s the national aviation authorities) See https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing/ for pricing, it varies by aircraft but you can get all the nav data, approach charts and more as a package for about $1100 a year. I know that a Jeppesen subscription for Europe is about $3800 a year, and that does not include Nav data, that’s just for the plates/charts!

Last Edited by Neil at 19 Jun 13:31
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It’s true that Garmin’s AIP chart subscription is much cheaper, on the other hand the additional cost of including the G1000 if you already have a JeppView subscription is not high. €168/year for Europe according to Jeppesen’s catalogue.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If you have the Garmin subscription you wouldn’t need the Jeppview, Garmin sell their app for ipad.

But I like Jeppesen charts the best, and we use them ourselves. They are probably worth the money if the aircraft flies a lot, and anyway in our company aircraft we have no real choice due to the avionics fit.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

And I have Europe Navdata, Charts, Safetaxi etc on G1000 and ipad app for approx €1900.

On the G1000, the facility is there but you have to buy an SD card from Garmin that enbles it. After that you just load the charts on the bottom MFD slot and they are displayed.

I am also considering the new Garmin charts as I only use them on the MFD as a backup. If only I could keep them on the iPad for a small amount.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Jun 16:31
EGTK Oxford
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message