Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do I need to do about CAMO / monitoring the time limits on my plane's parts and maintenance requirements?

I am so confused….

I have a TB20 on the G register.

I keep on having maintenance facilities in the UK tell me that for a few hundred pounds initially and a few hundred more each year they will do some or all of the following:

1. Review my plane’s maintenance records and log books at the outset and write up the life limits / maintenance repair schedules for my plane.
2. Keep in their possession and write up each month my plane’s three log books (airframe, engine, prop) when I tell them my flights each month.
3. Based on the above, keep me informed of what needs to be done and when.

They tell me that because of my plane’s MAUW (1,400 kg) I have a legal requirement to do this myself or have someone else do it for me (“CAMO”) and of course I can choose….but of course I can’t do this myself because I’m not a certified engineer.

I’d love to know what I really need to do in the above regard, and whether people generally do trust these organisations to not lose their plane’s logbooks! I have already had one such facility lose two very old propellor logbooks after first taking me on a tour of their facilities some time beforehand to show me inter alia their lovely systems and fireproof safes!

Advice please!

Thanks

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

No need to be a certified engineer to keep track of your aircraft’s maintenance requirements.

Also, when you already have to “tell them your flights each month”, you can just as well do the trackkeeping yourself. In my view, that’s just part of operating an aircraft and shouldn’t be delegated as that makes you lose touch of the basic technicalities of the aircraft. A TB is no rocket science. Also, in my experience, workshops will help owners when they have any doubts.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Apr 12:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I used to do everything for my TB20 and it’s easy job. There are sufficient services and data available on Internet to keep an eye on ADs and SBs. It’s under CAMO now (I had to put it because of some other reasons not related to actual tracking aircraft status) but I see it as total waste of money. The guy from CAMO knows nothing more about my plane that I do and his tracking tool is Excel sheet similar to mine.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In the UK, CAP 543 is the correct place for all Time Limited Tasks, Additional Inspections and Component Changes etc, to be recorded. The MO might keep a spread-sheet for this but the data should ultimately be entered into the 543 and kept with the log-books.

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message