Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Nickmatic wrote:

Wow. So it’s required below FL195 now? Everything seemingly official that I read seems to indicate otherwise.

No, it has always been coming below 195 for a long time.

And to the comment that you can use non 8.33 channels to use the 8.33 channels – sure. Or you could just follow the rules.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

No, it has always been coming below 195 for a long time.

I get that it has been coming but I thought it was not officially required below FL195 until Jan 1, 2018.

EHLE, Netherlands

Ailoth.

Andreas to Ronaldsway without a stop a Jurby ? you are big on this long distance flying!

Peter wrote:

But with a Garmin 480, you will have a second radio anyway. That is a very nice box, way ahead of its time, which many say has not been exceeded until the Avidyne IFD540 came out.

Unfortunately, they did not include 8.33 spacing on that unit.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It is almost certain that the 480 could be firmware upgraded to 8.33, but the whole reason Garmin bought the company was to get some technology and to eliminate a competitor, so they were hardly going to offer updated firmware

Sometimes I wonder whether one day any of this stuff will escape into the wild and get updated e.g. an LPV capable KLN94

There is a fairly simple KX155 mod for 8.33 – here. Obviously nobody will go public with it because they will be inviting regulatory attention under SUP

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

More rumours about 8.33 deadline slipping – IAOPA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m still not 100% clear on when an 8.33 spacing radio is officially required now and when it is not. Can anyone summarize?

EHLE, Netherlands

Nickmatic wrote:

I’m still not 100% clear on when an 8.33 spacing radio is officially required now and when it is not. Can anyone summarize?

Beginning January 1, 2018, an 8.33 radio is required in all airspace where a radio is required — even if no 8.33 channels are used in that airspace. So basically, if you only fly in class G (or VFR in class E or F) and outside any RMZ you won’t need an 8.33 radio. You can still use a 25 kHz radio on 25 kHz channels. (However, most 25 kHz channels will eventually be replaced by 8.33 kHz channels.)

Today, an 8.33 radio is required above FL195 and in some cases in other airspace. E.g. the Netherlands already apply the requirement above. I don’t know if any other country does. You’ll have to check the AIP.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Jun 14:58
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thank you.

Today, an 8.33 radio is required in some cases in other airspace. E.g. the Netherlands already apply the requirement above. I don’t know if any other country does. You’ll have to check the AIP.

So this part still seems pretty ambiguous for pilots. I’d love to hear details from any pilots (if any here without 8.33 radios) as to how they check this in advance.

I appreciate the help with this.

EHLE, Netherlands

You can still use a 25 kHz radio on 25 kHz channels.

Theoretically you may only continue to use 25Khz on exempted frequencies. I have no idea how this might be policed however.

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/8-33-kHz-radios/

Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message