Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTN 750/650 and GNC 255A owners: mandatory SB1404

If you own a Garmin GTN 650/750 or GNC 255A, there is a new mandatory service bulletin that must be accomplished (if your unit is within certain serial number ranges).

Garmin SB1404

PURPOSE
An issue has been identified where the affected units may present incorrect VOR or Localizer deviation information. This may be indicated by an unsteady (wagging) CDI and can result in a steady incorrect offset for up to 30 seconds.

COMPLIANCE
Mandatory for affected GTN 650, GTN 750, and GNC 255A/255B units to be accomplished by July 31st, 2014

The SB contains the list of affected serial numbers. The unit must be sent back to Garmin for installation of the modification by July 31st 2014 or this modification will not be covered under warranty.

Last Edited by achimha at 20 Feb 13:16

there is a new mandatory service bulletin that must be accomplished

Only if you want a warranty.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Only if you want a warranty.

Which I mention 5 lines further down and which everybody with these units will want because you certainly do not want to have a “wagging” CDI. In the typical corporate euphemist terms this probably means that the CDI is completely off driving you into a mountain.

I did not comment on whether it did make sense or not.

It’s just that whenever I read

there is a new mandatory service bulletin that must be accomplished

that activates a certain sensor with me…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Feb 13:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I might scale down my search for an illicitly sourced unused GTN750, for a few months

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Presumably the SB is a software upload and is FOC?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

If it was a software update, it would not have to be returned to Garmin.

KUZA, United States

If it was a software update, it would not have to be returned to Garmin

Of course you are right, that is obvious now I stop to think! But despite being wrong on that, I still think it will be FOC, due to the note about it needing to be done by July 2014 to qualify for warranty

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

They are trying to be quick to not get an AD slapped in their face.

There seem to be some good reasons as to why the 430/530 family is still very popular. ;-)

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message