Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS430W - Simple question, but I don't know the answer...help please.

I flew from an airfield yesterday having programmed a flight plan into my GNS430W. The programmed route started with a northeast leg to a VOR and then headed southeast – an inverted V.

When I flew the route I could see that there was no reason to track to the VOR and instead I cut the corner as it were and flew east from the airfield until I came to the southeast leg (leg 2) and asked the KAP 150 autopilot to capture that leg in NAV mode…but the 430 was still commanding me to set heading to the northeast leg (leg 1) and the AP wouldn’t capture the southeast leg even when I set the heading and flew along it.

How do I tell a 430W that I have missed a leg off a route and want it now to fly the next leg i.e. without having to go back and fly the whole route from before the missed leg? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Go to your flightplan, select the next waypoint, press menu and choose “Activate leg”.

Or just engage your GPSS and it will lead the turn and join the second leg. What, you don’t have a GPSS, sorry.

Actually I agree with Achimha’s advice.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 17 Feb 21:53
KUZA, United States

Many thanks :-)

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I go to the Flightplan, select the next WP and activate the next leg – but most times i will select the next WP and press DIRECT, enter, enter

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Feb 22:08

Doesn’t the GNS430W activate the next leg when you get close to it?

On the KLN94 I would cut the corner by switching to HDG mode and when closer to the SE leg, the SE leg would become active, and I would press NAV and it would intercept it.

The little gotcha on the KLN94/KCS55 system is that you need > 3 divs deviation showing on the HSI when you press NAV… if you press NAV with < 3 divs showing, it turns onto the new leg’s bearing immediately you press NAV.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Go to your flightplan, select the next waypoint, press menu and choose “Activate leg”.

Would activating the next leg in this way generate a course to the waypoint at the end of the leg (effectively a ‘direct to’ that waypoint) or a course to intercept the newly activated leg part way along? And if part way along the leg, where?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

No it activates the leg. How the leg is captured will prob depend on the autopilot. It might be HDG mode or a fixed angle of intercept. In NAV mode.

EGTK Oxford

Or in GPSS mode will intercept the activated leg automatically.

pressing Direct, choosing the second leg waypoint, then Direct, then Enter will also activate the leg, rather than the usual Direct, Enter, Enter, which sends you direct to the next waypoint instead of activating the leg.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message