Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100UL (merged thread)

LeSving wrote:

Theoretically it should work just fine, but in practice the 91UL has lower octane than 95 mogas for some reason.

Why should it not… You can’t directly compare the octane rating of AVGAS and MOGAS as they’re measured in different ways. The 91 octanes in AVGAS are measured as MON, while the 95 octanes in MOGAS are measured as RON. For the same fuel the MON number is lower than the RON number.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But that will happen eventually. Lead is a really nasty substance and the efforts in the US to find a replacement for 100L wouldn’t have happened if there wasn’t a real risk for a ban on 100LL.

Yes but when is the big question… could be many decades. Of course a developer of a fuel like this must have an idea/hope for something to happen otherwise they wouldn’t put in the investment. However so many things in aviation are just ideas with a huge development pricetag, that never really take off. But maybe a state like California could do its own thing here? EU as well but price would be a major issue with all the taxes added on top of the base price…

Last Edited by THY at 27 Sep 15:18
THY
EKRK, Denmark

Airborne_Again wrote:

The 91 octanes in AVGAS are measured as MON, while the 95 octanes in MOGAS are measured as RON

Yes, and mogas 95 is 85 MON. Obviously something very fishy about this 91 UL. When I was at the ULPower factory a couple of years back, they simply said don’t use 91UL.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I can’t wait for unleaded fuel to be widely available to the market. I’ve had 3 stuck exhausts valves so far this year and I would like to think this will be reduced if we had the option to run on unleaded fuels.

Last Edited by Bathman at 28 Sep 08:57

LeSving wrote:

When I was at the ULPower factory a couple of years back, they simply said don’t use 91UL.
Exactly, I heard it also in some German aircraft maintenance shops. Rotax even officially banned 91UL for the 914 engine, so our Super Dimona with the turbo engine may only refuel Mogas 95/98 RON or Avgas 100LL from now on.
Last Edited by Frans at 29 Sep 15:25
Switzerland

It sounds strange though. UL91 is reportedly 100LL without lead. So if 100LL and 95/98 RON are ok, then UL91 should be as well, as octane is higher than 95/98 RON fuel and there is nothing in there which isn‘t in 100LL.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Is the 10% alcohol car fuel OK in the Rotax? (And in the various tanks – for sealant.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Absolutely: https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceinfo/si-914-019-r11.pdf
si_914_019_r11_pdf

UL91 is also not at all a problem for ALL Rotaxes (including the 916 iSc Turbo). All it takes is a look at the appropriate documents….

“And in the various tanks – for sealant.” – That is a whole different story.

Last Edited by europaxs at 30 Sep 06:15
EDLE

It is still a question of availability too. There are some UL91 airports in Switzerland, I am not quite sure how many. We have made a point of fuelling UL91 whenever we can on the Mooney and so far we had no problems, I expect that if we could fuel 100% with UL91 we would certainly have a cleaner engine.

GAMI makes a very strong case here and it should be looked at. The obvious advantage of getting rid of lead are more than enough to really make an effort to get the fuels more distributed. It would already be great if UL91 gets available more for those engines who can use it (which are quite a lot seeing that all O360/O320 and many more lower hp engines e.t.c can use it).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

europaxs wrote:

UL91 is also not at all a problem for ALL Rotaxes (including the 916 iSc Turbo). All it takes is a look at the appropriate documents….
Our mechanics received a service bulletin from Rotax, where UL91 was banned for use with our Rotax 914 engine. It might not be banned for other engines, but it was a clear statement. In addition, our engine runs with 95/98 RON or 100LL quite a bit smoother, even though the use of 100LL requires an oil change every 50 hours, instead of every 100 hours. This finding was also confirmed by our maintenance shop and mechanics.

Last year, Rotax already published another service bulletin, stating that UL91 should not be used when towing gliders. Why?

At least in Germany, we have quite a good availability of 95/98 RON petrol on many airfields. However, when flying abroad, one can only choose between 100LL and Jet A1. Sometimes, with a bit of luck, there is also 91UL (especially in Switzerland).
Last Edited by Frans at 30 Sep 14:57
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message