Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to handle unexpectedly high mag overhaul bill

dutch_flyer wrote:

It’s the infamous Bendix dual mag, so both mags are in a single housing. They were fully overhauled.

I see. Well, that clearly puts the cost up but at least you should get some reliability in return and warranty after the overhaul.

dutch_flyer wrote:

the quote was for 1k, an overhaul exchange from TCM can be had for 2.5k, and there was zero communication about a difference in cost.

that is definitly not correct and should be sorted out with them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

If someone won’t give me a quote then I won’t use them. I’m often happy with an estimate for time if I know them. Sorry I don’t know how to post specifically referring to a comment.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there any update on the final outcome of this?

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

After reaching out to them as I described, I heard nothing for a week. Then I called the owner, who said he would try to get back to me within a week, which didn’t happen. This past Thursday was three weeks, and I also received a notice from the finance department (which is historically out of the loop) reminding me to pay the invoice. I sent a mail on Thursday saying how important it was to me to pay people on time (which is 100% true—I pay invoices immediately), so I would proactively pay what I believed was a reasonable amount. I paid for 3 hrs of labor on the mags, 1000 for the overhaul, and basically the rest of the amounts as invoiced. I included detailed reasoning for my amounts.

No answer yet.

EHRD, Netherlands

If someone won’t give me a quote then I won’t use them. I’m often happy with an estimate for time if I know them. Sorry I don’t know how to post specifically referring to a comment.

I could not agree more. I have not brought an aircraft in for maintenance, but after watching a few dozen Mike Busch webinars, I would most certainly be very clear to the shop how long their leash is.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

There’s a long ‘article’ (Promo really) in the current AOPA (US) mag about an electronic replacement for these dual mags. One of the more interesting claims is that it’s impossible to flood the engine on hot starts etc. because of the really strong spark. Is this plausible?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

No, outta experience it ain’t.
OTOH it is quite easy not to flood an engine… but we had another thread about the pros and cons of EI, which I’m too lazy right now to go and search for you

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I have summarised the US AOPA D3000 EI mag article into the D3000 EI thread. It’s been sitting on my desk for a few days

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dutch_flyer wrote:

After reaching out to them as I described, I heard nothing for a week. Then I called the owner, who said he would try to get back to me within a week, which didn’t happen. This past Thursday was three weeks, and I also received a notice from the finance department (which is historically out of the loop) reminding me to pay the invoice. I sent a mail on Thursday saying how important it was to me to pay people on time (which is 100% true—I pay invoices immediately), so I would proactively pay what I believed was a reasonable amount. I paid for 3 hrs of labor on the mags, 1000 for the overhaul, and basically the rest of the amounts as invoiced. I included detailed reasoning for my amounts.

No answer yet.

So perhaps it is a crock maintenance shop after all… Let´s hope not, but by the sound of the comms, it sure smells like one. Feel free to post name and if not, please do send me a personal mail so I can avoid this shop – many thanks. Dutch Flyer.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message