Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

All-in-one NAV tuner/VOR/LOC/GS - glass unit?

There used to be Narco 122 navigation unit that had all in one frequency tuner/vor/loc/gs.

Does a similar unit exist in modern “glass/efis” version? My stack is full, because I´ve got an ipad mini taking up space, so I don´t have space for a stack Nav tuner.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Not exactly what you want: not a glass device, not TSO certified, user interface straight from the 1980s, yet an integrated NAV/VOR/ILS/MKR: VAL Avionics INS 429

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Do you currently have a Narco 122 and want to replace it? Or do you not have any NAV box and would like to add one? All the EFIS units I could find need a remote NAV unit to connect to. Do you have something in your current stack that you could upgrade to include NAV that could be connected to an EFIS unit like say the Garmin GI275?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

derek wrote:

Do you currently have a Narco 122 and want to replace it? Or do you not have any NAV box and would like to add one? All the EFIS units I could find need a remote NAV unit to connect to. Do you have something in your current stack that you could upgrade to include NAV that could be connected to an EFIS unit like say the Garmin GI275?

I currently have an old (serviceable) Narco Nav-11, which is an integrated Nav tuner/VOR/LOC indicator unit with all in one instrument. I´m not using any external stack panel for the nav freq. tuning since this is done on the Narco-11 unit itself, just like it is on the Narco-122 (which is also GP capable).

I wonder why there doesn´t seem to be any unit similar to the Narco 122 unit, but in modern glass?
The alternative would be to replace the Stack Trig radio tuner with a combo Radio/Nav tuner.

Last Edited by Yeager at 30 Apr 18:23
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

I’m far from the expert, but I couldn’t find anything like the Narco in glass.

According to the Garmin website, a GI275 as CDI is list price USD 3’395 and a GNC255 Com/Nav is USD 5’195. No idea whether list price is reflective of real-world price. So that solution would be close to EUR 8’000 before tax and installation.

Last Edited by derek at 30 Apr 18:34
Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Hi @derek,

No worries. The GI275 CDI is a nice unit, but it still requires an external separate tuner, such as the one you mentioned, which would be an option, and my type of choice, if I didn´t already have an otherwise great Trig TY96 stack radio, and at this point not really looking to exchange it. The Trig TX56 would have worked with most stand alone CDI´s or VOR/LOC/GPs, but it´s not what I´ve got.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message