Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Was Mode S really necessary?

LeSving wrote:

I know too little about the details, but mathematically I don’t see a problem. The solution is two points, but you don’t know who is who. If two signals arrives at one sensor at the exact same time, then perhaps there is a problem? However, the requirement is Mode A and Mode C. That is, you have to enter a code, and the responder has to be triggered.

That IS the problem – they both return 7000 in Mode-C at approximately the same time. In Mode-S it is the same 7000 times two plus each return the individual HEX ID. And yes, ADS-B is great as that does not require an interrogator – it just broadcasts it all the time…

EGTR

Can you show that?

Nope, the reason I said “it appears” to be the case, with two question marks added (??) was to indicate that while the link I’ve already provided is fairly clear in stating that Mexican airspace over 10,000 ft is Class E, I recognize that like any similar article it may be incorrect – based on long experience and physical proximity, I know anything in Mexico tends to be poorly documented and unclear. I have no time nor interest to pursue it further right now, but would welcome any clarification. Maybe PM if you learn anything, to keep it off EuroGA.

In the meantime I’ll mentally file what I’ve learned for future reference, and maybe research it further when my plane has 12 inch N-numbers and could thereby fly to Mexico.

I’d like to fly to Mulege BCS (MX76) and to Alamos Sonora (MM45) at some point, I could make it to either non-stop from the ports of entry at San Felipe or Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) so what was more interesting to me personally is the link’s more clearly stated requirement for Mode S based ADS-B on the Mexican “coast” above 3,000 ft, because I know the flights I might make to Mexico are likely to follow the shoreline. Even that is unclear because I’m not sure there are any current Mexican charts that would clarify whether the requirement includes the Gulf of California shoreline or just e.g. the Pacific coast shoreline to the west. Welcome to Mexico, where rules are created by one group, enforced by another and documented nowhere.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 May 05:45
72 Posts
Sign in to add your message