Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonderite CR 1132 / antenna installation

Is there a practical replacement for the alodining/chromate conversion treatment available? I am in the process of installing a new VHF COM antenna (RAMI AV-17), and the general advice seems to be to scuff the paint away from the contact patch, corrosion-protect the aluminium e.g. with the stick-on CR 1132 applicator, and mount the antenna without the gasket but with a thin bead of RTV silicone along the edge onto the skin in order to achieve a good ground plane connection.

Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible to buy the CR 1132 applicator due to the classification as hazardous substance, so I wonder if I could leave the scuffed skin untreated and rely on the RTV sealant to protect from moisture and subsequent corrosion, or rely on the mounting studs to provide a VHF ground via scuffed skin on the inside of the skin.

The transponder antenna (RAMI AV-74) interestingly has no metal contact surface and seems to rely either on grounding via the contact studs or capacitively to the skin.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Try Bonderite M-CR 871 instead of 1132. It contains less hazardous trivalent chromium rather than hexavalent one, and is available at Aviocom (they have 1132 as well).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Does alodyning actually do anything which a decent primer doesn’t do?

I have done it many times, as advised, but always wondered whether it was of any use.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you very much! Aviocom sits just a few miles up the highway, I’ll contact them. Apart from the slightly less hazardous chrome compound, is there an advantage of the 871 over the 1132 if I can buy either one? As far as I understand it, the hexavalent chromium formulations provide by far superior corrosion protection compared with their nanny-state replacements.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Peter wrote:

Does alodyning actually do anything which a decent primer doesn’t do?

Alodining (i.e. chromate conversion) provides a very thin anti-corrosion layer (and something the primer can bite into) but the metal-to-metal connectivity is basically there. Primer would usually provide a non-conductive layer that would render in my case the antenna ground plane connection less useful (and in that case I would stay with the current paint on metal).

EHRD / Rotterdam

The system I have previously seen is like this

where the antenna has four screws plus a conductive base, and comes with a compressible conductive gasket which is supposed to ensure a good area contact with a metal aircraft roof.

If the four screws make contact with a metal roof that is an additional bonus.

Yes one should not be priming that surface, obviously – that was an irrelevant Q of mine

If you don’t have that gasket you can buy the material in sheet form. How much difference that gasket makes IF the four screws make a good contact is a good Q (at VHF frequencies I doubt it makes much difference – @alioth may know) but check what the antenna looks like under the screw heads. On the one I have here – a Garmin GPS antenna – the screw head would make a good contact because there is bare metal there.

Administrator

If all else fails, LAS Aero still sell the CR 1132.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

antenna has four screws plus a conductive base, and comes with a compressible conductive gasket which is supposed to ensure a good area contact with a metal aircraft roof.

Interesting; the installation kit provided with the antenna includes a gasket, but I would characterise it as standard rubber one, definitely not looking similar to your part. I’ll probably install it for now without the provided gasket and run a Hylomar Blue bead as sealant around the edge (there’s a nice groove already milled into the base plate), and protect the metal contact patch using the anti-corrosion metal preparation (thanks Ultranomad and Raiz for providing sources!).

EHRD / Rotterdam

There are “rubber” gaskets which achieve conduction by having metal fibres running across their thickness, if you get what I mean. If you put a meter on two spots on it, it reads no-connection but if you put it across the thickness you get a contact.

The principle is also widely used to connect to LCD displays.

Yours may be one of those.

If it is really not conductive then I would not use it. If stuck, I would lay a length of copper braid under the antenna, in an oval pattern, close to the perimeter of the screws, and that should squash when the screws are tightened.

Administrator

Sebastian_H wrote:

Apart from the slightly less hazardous chrome compound, is there an advantage of the 871 over the 1132 if I can buy either one? As far as I understand it, the hexavalent chromium formulations provide by far superior corrosion protection compared with their nanny-state replacements.

My educated guess was also that hexavalent chromium would be somewhat better, but Henkel says:

BONDERITE M-CR 1132 AERO is a hexavalent chrome chemical conversion coating and BONDERITE M-CR 871 AERO is a trivalent chrome chemical conversion coating. BONDERITE M-CR 1132 AERO leaves an apparent yellow gold coating after application and BONDERITE M-CR 871 AERO leaves a clear iridescent coating after application. Performance of both coatings meets the same corrosion protection and paint adhesion requirements per MIL-DTL-81706B.

Never tried Hylomar Blue. Around here, black RTV silicone is used on most antennas.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 25 Jun 17:26
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message