Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upholstering the instrument panel

One TB20 pilot posted this pic on fb:

It looks like the moulded panels have been leather covered. Can’t tell if it is real leather or some plastic. The plane is a 1992 TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That looks very professionally done.

Someone explained to me (at great length) a few years ago the perfect material for the top of the instrument panel: black velvet as it’s completely unreflective. Personally I thought it would fade pretty quickly.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The material of choice, apparently, is stuff called Alcantara. It looks like matt velvet but is actually plastic. It may be self adhesive. Socata use it on internal trims around the windows.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alcantara is more or less synthetic suede leather, and is very ‘1970s Ferrari’ (its an Italian product introduced in that era and on those cars) giving it the required visual cues and esthetic credibility Link

The stitched leather covering is done fairly frequently to cover up worn plastic instrument panels, and was originally associated with older hand made (new) cars that weren’t tooled up for moulded interiors. Lots of work but it looks nice.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Apr 14:37

For certified aircraft the material needs of course to comply to flammability requirements.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

If I recall correctly Alcantara is just a fancy name for ultrasuede which was developed by a Japanese chap / firm. They then chose a fancy european name for it to make it more attractive and sound more luxurious.

It’s pretty hard wearing, but does shine up if it sees a lot of contact / rubbing.

I assume they do a fire resistant form as it’s used in motorsport steering wheels and other places.

I don’t like the feel of Alcantara, especially for car seats. Feels cheap and electrostaticly.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Capitaine wrote:

That looks very professionally done.

Nicest TB cockpit ever. The cover looks fantastic!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Most skilled car re-trimmers or boat re-trimmers could do this fairly easily, even as just covers bonded to stay in place.

There is a very nice ‘leather’ product which is nicely uv stable, and extensively used to retrim cars and boats.
It’s called Shelly
It is a hybrid between synthetic and leather.
I cant remember the details but it’s a real leather but with different treatment to the usual tanning.

It produces a slightly more durable product to the traditional leather.

I agree it enhances the look of the original.

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message