Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Display of Mode-A/C/S transponding traffic and Golze ADL weather, on the same device

I currently have a PilotAware device that I use primarily to feed traffic data to my iPad, and I’m looking for a weather solution as well. The problem seems to be that I can get a single device with ADS-B traffic (pretty useless in Europe at the moment) and weather (from Golze), but missing Mode S. Since my iPad can only connect to one of these at a time, I’m wondering if there’s another solution others have used. I also would be happy to have one or the other displayed on my 530W, but I don’t think there’s a compatible solution for Europe. Would like to hear others’ experience!

EHRD, Netherlands

dutch_flyer wrote:

Since my iPad can only connect to one of these at a time

Actually the ADL devices can become a client in a foreign WiFi. As a result you can connect the iPad to a PilotAware and an ADL device at the same time. But how do you like the Mode S traffic signal quality you currently have?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Actually the ADL devices can become a client in a foreign WiFi. As a result you can connect the iPad to a PilotAware and an ADL device at the same time. But how do you like the Mode S traffic signal quality you currently have?

Interesting. I didn’t know that. To answer your question, I would never rely on any traffic device for anything but augmentation for my eyes, and can’t compare the Mode S signal to anything else. So I’d say it’s better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as ADS-B in the US. It’s also not always clear which traffic is Mode S and which is ADS-B on the display.

EHRD, Netherlands

But how do you like the Mode S traffic signal quality you currently have?

There is no Mode S traffic in Europe…?

Mode S TIS exists in the US but European ATC didn’t install it. Reportedly, it was a ~100k add-on per radar, and most of GA doesn’t pay route charges.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Pilotaware does mode S (and A) but it displays bearingless targets, which are pretty useless.

EBST, Belgium

OK; “Mode S traffic” can mean 2 different things

Administrator

As this question comes up so often and I had so many phone calls about this, I finally did the effort to write it all down:

Airborne Traffic Detection Systems in European Airspace

If you find any errors or have other experiences etc. please just write!

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Yes that looks good. I would emphasise that e.g. airliners emit ads-b OUT but don’t have ads-b IN, so radiating ads-b OUT gives you no safety against getting close to one, or probably a bizjet either.

A search such as this digs out various previous threads which are well worth a read.

The whole subject is a huge mess, partly because lots of people are trying to make money by selling various boxes, each of which has a fanatical following on some GA chat site, on which the admins have allowed manufacturer XYZ to run long promotional “discussions” possibly in return for advertising in some related site or magazine. I will get some nasty emails for posting this, as always, within 24hrs… The ground based retransmission schemes are just more promotions, with no long term business model. All previously discussed.

Administrator

This is helpful background, so appreciate it! Does anyone have experience with the Golze units?

EHRD, Netherlands

Golze ADL

Lots of people here have the system, myself included. It is very good; actually nothing comes close to delivering that function in Europe.

Administrator
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message