Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Borescope valve images - opinions?

Beautifully clean valves @By9468840. You have the injected engine whereas mine has a carb. I run it as lean as I dare but can’t go lean of peak as some cylinders would be too lean. I am really envious of your clean valves!

Below is one of my valve seats, I’m quite pleased about how clean they are!

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 11 Jul 21:03
United Kingdom

Yes we should have a “EuroGA cleanest valves” competition

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

just sharing some more pictures to contribute to the beauty contest.
But I have a question. One of my intake valves had a bit of oil around it. See pic.
I could not find any reference online indicating if it is a problem or not.. but curious what you guys think.

Switzerland

By9468840 wrote:

here is a sample of how my exhaust valves look like

Wow! What CHT’s are you running?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Peter wrote:

Yes we should have a “EuroGA cleanest valves” competition

With a scoring system (average hours, CHT, EGT, FF), otherwise fresh hangar queens get the prize

Will be interesting to see pictures of valves from a FADEC engine consistently run at 75% power output, this will reveal most of myths on how to “properly run” an engine?

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jul 13:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am almost certain a hangar queen would look far worse in boroscope than any other flying aircraft.
you’d be seeing corrosion and vertical scoring marks on cylinder walls.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 12 Jul 14:49
Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

Wow! What CHT’s are you running?

I operate the engine almost always lean of peak up to 30-40 degrees. So the CHT are low. My cruise CHT of my IO-360 is 290-310 F @ 30 degrees LOP.
In climb I make sure no cylinder exceeds 380 F which they barely ever do. I also lean on the ground very aggressively. I lean it down to the point where the engine can barely run max 1200 rpm without sputtering. So pretty much the only time when I fly full rich is during take off.

Switzerland

Looks like these spots are quite common. I am also slowly learning how to use that chinese USB borescope…

This is an inlet valve

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Your photos look very much like mine Peter!

United Kingdom

I’m curious about that green coloration in the middle of hour exhaust valve. I watched a mike busch webinar at eaa website where he talks about green color on valve face indicating imminent failure but all of the cases he presented were on valve outer rim, not in the middle like yours. It is also interesting to know why some of the valves have that green center and others not.

I would drop him an email with this picture and see what he thinks.

Last Edited by By9468840 at 27 Sep 06:03
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message