Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for someone to do a prebuy on a Kitfox

Jan, subject to local byelaws or environmental restrictions (SSSI etc) we can alight pretty well anywhere in the UK. It is advisable to get permission from the landowner or riparian owner, failing which one may have to negotiate forgiveness. To that end, the MEL should include a selection of single malt/champagne/chocolates/banknotes…

I think France is a bit more restrictive, although ULMs seem to be exempt from such rules.

Last Edited by Jacko at 06 Oct 14:36
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I’m still wrestling with the results of an incompetent pre-buy. I’ve just joined the LAA forum and discovered the previous seller asking for help with the procurement of a propeller, undercarriage and other non-specific aircraft parts – despite swearing that the aircraft was in excellent condition and there had never been any problems with it.

I’ve also since discovered that the aircraft and its troubles were well known to members of what is the de-facto members’ club, and wish I’d had the presence of mind to call them first.

Perhaps a little harder for an aircraft that is not already flying… But you could get a feel for the depth of knowledge and diligence of the builder if you happen to find their username for any forums they frequent. I’d also consider calling whichever inspector has been involved in the build to date. Their names and numbers are all on the LAA website. I’d ask the seller first whether they were happy for me to do so.

discovered the previous seller asking for help with the procurement of a propeller, undercarriage and other non-specific aircraft parts – despite swearing that the aircraft was in excellent condition and there had never been any problems with it.

Sadly that is very normal… I see it all the time, because I am in contact with loads of pilots. People do the same stuff when they sell planes as when they sell cars, houses, etc.

Sellers who do that are fools however because, in the UK at least, while used items are normally sold “as seen” i.e. there is no comeback if it’s full of worms, if the seller makes specific representations (e.g. “the engine has never had any issues”) that is most definitely actionable. So if you lie and manage to p1ss off somebody with both time and money, you could get sued. Same with houses, hence the usual questionnaire form which gets sent out to the seller.

Good tip for looking for “inspectors” – thanks. What surprises me is that two leads I have followed so far have turned up nothing. One is an LAA inspector and the other one is an owner. Maybe prebuys on homebuilts are a can of worms, to be avoided?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any suggestions on anyone who can do a prebuy on a Kitfox?

Administrator

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/inspectors/inspectors_Listing.php

The LAA has a pretty good form to help you find inspectors in your area. Enter your postcode, and voila.

I simply found a list of people in the area, phoned one at random and had a chat to ascertain that he knew more than me. There’s an indication by every name regarding the classes of aircraft they are qualified to advise on. Despite my uninspiring experience, I’m sure this is a better course of action than not getting an inspection!

Has your friend asked on this forum:

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/

At least (s)he should get an impression of what the usual ‘gotchas’ are.

The other consideration is to work out who the ongoing inspector is going to be, and get them involved from the outset. There can be differences of opinion in what is / is not acceptable.

Last Edited by kwlf at 17 Oct 01:09

Many thanks – I have passed this on.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message