Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair IV-P / LX7 Propjet N751HP - runway overrun into a car

Ouch… Lancair IV-P flight ends in: Plane Hits Car After Overrun

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

There’s a quote in the video, “the pilot said reverse thrust didn’t work”. Well, yeah… seems to be a common problem on piston airplanes. Mine doesn’t either. And no beta either.

The field has a 4300 foot runway. There is/was at least one IV-P operating at Palo Alto with its 2400 foot runway.

LFMD, France

@johnh I believe this is in fact a turbine conversion, even without reverse or beta it should have managed to land OK, so agree on the main point.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can you imagine the car driver’s insurance claim form?

France

gallois wrote:

Can you imagine the car driver’s insurance claim form?

Not as good as the repair request to Socata from Steveo1Kinevo for the TBM he was flying at the time (bullet hole).

EGTR

Can’t help thinking of the picture that goes round the net from time to time, the caption is, “What do you mean, you hit a mosquito?”. The picture is of a car that has hit a DH Mosquito that has evidently crash landed on the road.

Looking back on this thread… I did fly in a IV-P once, and took the controls for a while. It’s the only piston plane I’ve flown where you have to pay attention to the 250 KIAS speed limit – very easy to go faster if you’re not watching.

LFMD, France

RobertL18C wrote:

I believe this is in fact a turbine conversion

Judging from the video clip it certainly had a turbine engine.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This isn’t a Lancair IV-P, it’s an LX7 which is a total rebuild. The fuselage is the same but it has a complete new wing, closer to the Evo and quite a bit bigger than the original IV wing. https://www.lx7aircraft.com/

United Kingdom

ASN

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

There’s a quote in the video, “the pilot said reverse thrust didn’t work”. Well, yeah… seems to be a common problem on piston airplanes.

It’s a turbine engine. However, if the breaks work it shouldn’t overrun the runway regardless of reverse trust working or not.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message