Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kids on board

I was wondering what the experiences on here are with taking kids up in a SEP.
Especially on trips going somewhere, rather than just a Sunday arvo flight around town.

One of the reasons (or should I say rationalisations) for getting my pilot licence was being able to visit family and friends out in the bush, an also do some touring and camping ‘out back’ without having to drive hundreds or thousands of kms over dangerous (gravel) roads. Unfortunately it took me much longer than expected to get my PPL so while I’m now finally a licenced private pilot with access to an old experienced C172M, I’m also the proud father of a loud beautiful 3 month old boy which complicates the logistics a bit.

I’ve already got a set of baby earmuffs, and a CASA certificied capsule/baby seat, so the legalities and safety side is taken care of but I’m interested in how other people have experienced the practicalities of traveling with babies/kids in a small aeroplane. At what age did you first take the kids on a trip? How did they like it? Any tips?

Just out of curiosity, I noticed that the POH for the 172 includes a reference to a baby seat in the baggage area (as does the one for the 152), has anyone ever used that? Wouldn’t make much sense for a 172 as you wouldn’t be able to take any fuel with 4 adults + a baby even if you’d be cruel enough to sqeeze the poor bub on top of the bags.

I did Bankstown to King Island in a Mooney with a 6 month old baby about 18 years ago. Earmuffs and a baby seat (at that stage just secured with the seatbelt). My wife sat in the back with the baby – baby was fine, wife was sick. Have plenty of sick bags but in my experience they cope with it well. Have a handheld GPS which was revolutionary back then.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Aug 21:50
EGTK Oxford

Never had a problem. My son first flew with 8 weeks … protected his ears and he was fine. Today, with 10 and 12… for a longer flighr just give them an iPod or iPad and they’re fine. But i don’t do longer flights than 2 hours with the kids.

The 11 hours to Tokyo yesterday were an exception, but was an A340-600 with lots of movies :-)

Flyer59 wrote:

Never had a problem. My son first flew with 8 weeks … protected his ears and he was fine. Today, with 10 and 12… for a longer flighr just give them an iPod or iPad and they’re fine. But i don’t do longer flights than 2 hours with the kids.

The 11 hours to Tokyo yesterday were an exception, but was an A340-600 with lots of movies :-)

Good to hear I’m not the only one doing this, I was quite surprised about the negative comments I got from (urban) Australians when I told them we’d be taking the baby flying.
I’m more worried about visiting the old folk in the Netherlands than grandpa in remote Queensland. It’s at least 21 hours from Brisbane to Schiphol vs 3.5 hours in the cessna (with the option to stop whenever we feel like it).

Maritime_Ev wrote:

It’s at least 21 hours from Brisbane to Schiphol vs 3.5 hours in the cessna (with the option to stop whenever we feel like it).

And if the baby cries, it bothers no-one. Far easier than airline travel I can assure you.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

And if the baby cries, it bothers no-one

hmm Not exactly sure how to interpret that one.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I also took my kids flying at a very early age (< 1 year). I used regular headsets which worked fine. They tended to fall asleep quickly once in the air so the crying part was not an issue.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve been flying with my girls since they were eight months, just took the oldest (2,5 yrs) with me from Holland to Burgundy (France) and back. When you’ve got the seat and hearing protection, you’ve got the important bits covered. I just treat the airplane as a car with wings and they are used to it as if they were driving along in the car. When I take them flying I pick a destinantion that is suited for them and the time there is for the kids. As for opinions from others, it struck me too that on a dutch aviation forum a few members frowned on the idea of taking young kids along. Do what you feel comfortable with, kids are flexible and if you take your son out camping he’ll have a ball!

EHTE, Netherlands

The problem really starts when they refuse to wear diapers. When my 5 and 3 year old announce they have to pee, then the available timeframe would actually require an emergency descent with an off-airport landing…

I can’t comment on very small children but used to fly with mine from about age 6 onwards. Never had any issues. However, the ex demanded a co-pilot, for years, which sometimes dramatically increased the cost of doing the flight (hotels etc).

The only issue I can think of even with older children, is high altitudes and oxygen. Kids often go to sleep. Many people, when they sleep, do so with their mouth open, and that defeats the cannula. At FL150 that will result in a nasty headache but at FL200 it would be really serious and the child would probably not wake up….. the MH O2D2 electronic demand regulator will start beeping to warn of a lack of breathing but if you are using a constant flow system (the default in turbocharged aircraft with fitted systems) then you won’t notice. So masks have to be used, and constant supervision with an oxygen monitor (the thing you stick a finger into). Some info.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message