Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jodel D11

A friend is set up to buy this homebuilt Jodel, first flown in 1979 and a fair amount since – it has 1500 hrs TT. He’s had a number of bigger and higher performing planes, the last was a Comanche, but this one will be just for inexpensive fun. He sold one of his Lotuses and had an empty stall in his stable

This one has a C85 and was apparently built to the original design and not the Canadian Falconair modified design… although the genesis of this plane is not entirely clear (the builder has long since passed on)

Any interesting info on the type I could convey?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 18:23

My quest for an affordable airplane led me to France a year ago (looking at two Druine D5 Turbis) and also to spend a fair bit of time reading up and down whatever I found, also on Jodels.
Here is good information http://www.jodel-passion.org/index.php?p=jodel&themodels

He should name the plane Madeline.

always learning
LO__, Austria

He should name the plane Madeline

That would be good He also has an original 60s-era Alpine A110 car and I’m thinking the opportunity for group photos is going to be great.

I’ll pass along the website, thanks for that.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 19:48

Do you know if it has air brakes? I don’t know exactly why but it doesn’t quite look like s D11 of the thread title. With the engine you quote that would likely make it the D112 but I think its the rear window panel and its seems too long for one. But then it is a homebuilt so anything is possible.
To me it looks very like my old Paris -Nice D120. But that had a C90 engine, air brakes and was built by Wassmer.
The problem is that most Jodels look very alike in photos and the only one I know with a Continental 85 engine is the A85 on a D126. But as I say a homebuilt Jodel will mix and match. Except in France they don’t approve of a scimeter prop on a D120 although it works much better than the standard wood prop.🙃

France

The wheels and brakes are TSO’d Clevelands and the tailwheel is a Scott 3200, which is a practical setup. That’s not always the case on an inexpensive homebuilt. The plane was obviously built to use and was used, which is probably a good thing unless it’s worn out!

No part of the plane has ever been outside the US unless it ventured up to Canada. It wouldn’t match any of the factory built configurations exactly because it wasn’t built to any spec except that of the original builder and nothing needs approval. The builder did choose to call it a D11 in his FAA data so I imagine that would mostly be what it is.

Somebody installed spades to lighten up the ailerons.

My friend the buyer has an Alfa Giulietta stored in England (he bought up some now interesting cars in the 70s for peanuts, as a young guy) and he likes to drive it in France more than anywhere else. I imagine his new Jodel interest might take him to some places to learn more about his plane. Maybe some homebuilt fly-ins.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 21:35

The so designated Jodel D-11 have come in many versions thru the years.
I have a few hours on type, all licence Swiss built variants (Uetz)… weighing some 30kg more than their French built and designed counterparts, and powered by venerable C-90s.

As with most Jodels, performance once regarded as good is modest to say the least, and the flight controls are all but in harmony. One look at the hinges and one will understand the need for strong forearms and patience for any roll action, whilst the pitch and yaw controls are ok.
Cheap French hardware on all but the engine.
Range can be a problem on versions only fitted with a forward tank only.
Resale value is bad in Europe, most going for a song or less.
No flaps means that any obstacle or misjudged approach will require slipping action on any European sized runway, less so on American’s highways.
Crosswind limits are on the low side but ok, less so if operating from a grass fiel as was intended.

On the plus side pretty cheap to operate (if the covering’s good) with good allround vis. Probably very exotic looks for American eyes

Last Edited by Dan at 30 Dec 22:09
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The Jodel Group on Groups.io is an active English language source of Jodel information.
[email protected]

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 30 Dec 22:08
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Probably very exotic looks for American eyes

More cute than exotic but none the less an interesting plane in that there were many more obvious choices in the late ‘70s, the original builder spent so much time building it, and then he spent a lot flying it too. Today it’s usually one or the other but the old school EAA guys were determined types. The builder was a cabinet maker by trade, or so we read, and that’s probably why he choose an all wood design.

This is just for fun, no overnight flights are anticipated so the performance will be just fine. Aileron forces should be a little lower with the spades now installed, time will tell. The pilot has lots of experience slipping flapless aircraft and there’s no French hardware on this one. The price was less than some pay for a motorcycle, low resale price was what the buyer was seeking, and the engine has value.

It’ll be operated off a runway on the top of a hill, but it’s pretty long (2900 ft or 880 m) so that’s less of a consideration for any plane than the sides of the hill being entirely covered by pine trees. Hopefully the little C85 won’t quit

@Maoraigh, thanks for the Jodel Group link, I believe he may have already found that one but will forward it regardless!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 23:02

When building a Jodel usually uses what is available. I doubt the US builder has much access to a couple of 2CV door handles.
So most just nip down the local hardware store or motor factors to get what they need.
My Jodel 120 was based on the D112 plans but was factory built by Wassmer.
It had air brakes like a glider, and we had Beringer brakes fitted on the wheels, but need to be careful with them as they could be a bit too aggressive if pulled on hard.
I had no problem with controls being stiff in roll or in pitch but that might be because I came to Jodels, originally a D112 and then the D113 and before that various wooden Robin’s.
I didn’t find cross wind landings on grass or tarmac a huge problem and on occasion did land with.crosswinds of over 20kts. You have to practice crosswind landing techniques round this part of France as you often need to land in them.🙂
I dug out my old crib sheet.
It was a C90 engine putting out 96CV
Useful load was just shy of 300kg
Cruise was 190km/h = just over 102kt
I used to climb at around 1000fpm but the book figure was 10.5m/s which I have just calculated to be around 2000fpm. I must have got my maths wrong somewhere🙂
Anyway I usually climbed at an angle where I could see over the top.
Ceiling was 14,000ft
Stall 87km/h = 47kts
T/O distance was 220m
LD 200m
Range 1000 km 540NM.
I used to use Avgas but was told that mogas would not have been a problem.
I had a Scimitar prop fitted which gave a bit better performance and felt better in terms of stability, vibration and noise. I had to switch back to the normal prop for 3 year visits to RSA or OSAC. A lot of Jodel owners do the same.
As someone said they don’t fetch a lot of money for the fun they provide but then neither do they cost a lot to run.
I sold mine a few years ago for €13000. The mode S transponder and 8.33 radio were worth nearly 50% of that.
Selling it was something I think I will always regret.😪😪

France

That all sounds pretty good given the modest power output of a little Continental. I think 100 kts and 1000 fpm climb will be fine, it’s slower than another friends Culver Cadet that has an O-200 and retractable gear, but better overall than a Luscombe or Taylorcraft. I’m sure he’ll have fun with it and that it will someday leave him in a little better condition that it was received Thanks for the details.

Most US builders in the 50s-70s built everything themselves except the propeller, wheels and brakes and sometimes the tailwheel. Engines were often assembled out of overhauled parts.

I misunderstood the question about air brakes, thinking that some might have air actuated wheel brakes like a Yak! I’m not sure if it has an aerodynamic air brake, I don’t think so.

A lot of older designs have light rudder and elevator, but heavy ailerons. My Luscombe was the same, and I dreamed of putting spades on it like somebody has already done on this Jodel. Another example is the Citabria, they handle like a truck to me but are much improved with factory spades.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Dec 13:41
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message