Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jet fuel stop in Northwestern Italy; recommendations?

Anybody has good suggestions for a place to make a fuel stop for Jet A1 in North-western Italy on 23 April, on the way from Sicily to Luxembourg? In case of strong-ish headwinds, I would need one.

• Jet fuel availability: absolute requisite
  • IFR approaches: an advantage
  • quick turn-around
  • reasonable landing fee and other costs (no handling / cheap handling)
  • ease of planning (no PPR / short PPR)

I’ve looked at:

• Torino LIMF – PPR 2h, mandatory handling (cost?)
  • Genova LIMJ – PPR 2h, mandatory handling (70EUR; 50 EUR if I can avoid the “bus transport” both ways), high IFR approach minima suggest more difficult airport (obstacles and stuff?)
  • Lugano LSZH – very high approach minima(!)
  • Milano – I assume will not be easy/reasonable?
  • Bergamo LIME – PPR 24h
  • Pisa LIRP
  • Firenze LIRQ

I sent a few emails to inquire about handling costs…

Last Edited by lionel at 14 Apr 08:00
ELLX

I sent a few emails to inquire about handling

Good luck getting meaningful replies…

Generally, in Italy, the GA airports have rather expensive jetfuel. The airline airports have cheaper fuel, but then, some of these have the nasty habit of charging a “minumum fee” if you don’t take at least 500 litre or so. Very hard to find out the real prices beforehand.

Also, airline airports always have the risk of big fuelling delays. If you hit the wrong moment, you might end up having to wait an hour or so.

Italian airports are always a bad idea if it’s just for fuel. Even if it is a slight detour, consider doing the stop in France. That also avoids the Alps which is sometimes a good idea. Maybe Grenoble if that isn’t too far. Otherwise Calvi.

The Italian airports you mentioned are all more or less of a headache. If you want Italy, then Albenga might be an option. GA only, so no delays (and no PPR at all, a rarity), but fuel a little more expensive.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Apr 08:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

+1 for Albenga. A scenic approach, no delays, friendly. Driver in the terminal takes you to town for 25 EUR.

LPFR, Poland

boscomantico wrote:

talian airports are always a bad idea if it’s just for fuel. Even if it is a slight detour, consider doing the stop in France.

Noted. Mostly, I hope not too much headwind and I won’t need any :)

boscomantico wrote:

Albenga might be an option

Looks nice indeed, if the weather is up to it (high approach minima). Needs specific briefing before going because “hard airport” (like Cannes). The guy on the phone doesn’t even understand the words “PPR or prior permission” :) Fuel cheaper than in France (significant compared to Corsica, close to Cannes price), 10 EUR fixed fuelling fee, 60 EUR handling & landing/take-off. Thanks for the tip.

Last Edited by lionel at 14 Apr 09:23
ELLX

Bergamo used to be easy and they didn’t charge (or had discounted charge on) handling for technical stops but I guess Albenga is your best choice. Other than that, maybe Marseille could work for you as well.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Albenga only sensible option in the area but I agree with Bosco. Tech stop in Italy is prob not ideal.

EGTK Oxford
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message