Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this a record for the UK (sunny weather)?

It’s pretty amazing, although the famous summer of 2003 exceeded all of this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s even going to be really nice in the “Except the north and west” too, for a change!

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

the famous summer of 2003

1976 more so.

EGKB Biggin Hill

It is actually really amazing. Several weeks of CAVOK and sunshine, and it looks like at least another week to go of the same.

Oddly enough it doesn’t seem to produce constant high GA activity throughout. Various people were asking Why in 2003; I think the answer is that most people exhaust their budget in the first week or two of good wx.

Administrator

Please remember it may appear brilliant from the tv weather reports but not all the UK will be CAVOK. On the east coast for instance there has been fog/ very low cloud base often from about 0600 untill 1100hrs. Last week I was en route to Alderney and had to abort about 15 miles north when the airport was closed because viz was below minimums.

UK, United Kingdom

Summer of 2003 is largely why I was able to complete my PPL in6 months.

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

Oddly enough it doesn’t seem to produce constant high GA activity throughout.

In Sweden it certainly does. The workshops can’t meet the demand for scheduled inspections. My club produced 2/3 of its annual flight time budget by June 30th.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Almost a month later and the sun is still shining here in the SE UK. Never seen anything like it.

No wonder nobody wants to do any meetups – it is too nice at home

Administrator

when I was a kid, we had Summers in central Europe like those we have now. Then came a period where flying south was a necessity if you wanted that brown on your skin come from sunburn not rust and mud. Now we are back to normal. Sun in Summer and behold, snow in winter. Only that the tabloids these days are so fixed on the climate doom and gloomers that they freak out at every chance they get.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message