Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is FR24 going down the plughole?

Another one today:

FR24:

Flightaware:

Nobody is going to tell me that nobody lives where the tracking was lost (Essex, etc)

There is something deeply wrong with FR24.

Unfortunately, FR24 has a working PC client (in the browser) while the FA browser client is horrible, often hanging and requiring the browser tab to be closed and restarted (some sort of endless loop running). The android apps are crap for both but the FA one is even more crap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think your flights logs have been like that for a long time.
I’ve not noticed the same with our aircraft in the past (even more reliable now that we’ve ADSB out).

I always assumed it was to do with squawks changing and perhaps IFR flight plans. Or maybe you requested not to be in the database sometime in the past?

But there is something different about your tracks. Just not sure what it is.

If you follow your flight live, the tracking is constant. So for some reason it’s the link into the database gets partly lost.

Any idea what happened at the point tracking stops? Changed from IFR to VFR? Changed squawk? (In itself this shouldn’t stop tracking but maybe the new squawk had some significance and is treated differently in the database?)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

For whatever reason FR24 seems to track only very few SEPs. Looking at the traffic in the L.A. area now where ADS-B out is mandatory, I can only find two or three SEPs and there definitley are many more in the skies above L.A. ! It also doesn’t show any of our club aircraft. By contrast, FlightAware shows all the SEP traffic here.

At EHLE FR24 coverage has been fairly stable and shows SEP traffic but ADSBEXCHANGE always shows more and has the advantage that it shows military traffic .

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

MLAT never worked well with FR. If ADSB Exchange is better, I suggest use it.

But even with ADSB equipped GA, particularly low level, there have been errors and outages.

The large part of FR is used tracking airliners. And that works reasonably well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

FR24 tracks my DA40 (with built-in ADS-B) very accurately from takeoff to landing. I haven’t seen it lose me once so far. Though it does for some reason think that it’s a DA42.

United Kingdom

FR is garbage nowadays.

My two flights today EGKA-LFAT & LFAT-EGKA are shown as one flight only. Tracking has been bad for years.

Maybe they have reduced their monitoring network because they make most of their money off airline traffic which is easy to pick up because it all radiates ADS-B. One receiver has a range of hundreds of miles.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

FR is garbage nowadays.

My two flights today EGKA-LFAT & LFAT-EGKA are shown as one flight only. Tracking has been bad for years.

I wonder what causes this. See here#, for a return flight to LFAT at about the same time as your flights: the tracking is very good. I’ve generally found FR24 to be accurate with this aircraft, wherever I’ve been.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Were you radiating ADS-B? If so, that tends to confirm my view that FR24 is abandoning the Mode S multilateration approach (which needs lots of ground stations) in favour of pure ADS-B (which can cover e.g. much of central Europe with a single decent size antenna on a hill).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

that tends to confirm my view that FR24 is abandoning the Mode S multilateration approach (which needs lots of ground stations) in favour of pure ADS-B

Same observation here. My ship sports ADSB in/out and is (unfortunately sometimes…) easy to follow, whereas friends I regularly fly with and “only” mode S equipped have their trace being lost (drawn as straight lines) for long periods. And it has been getting worse for a while now.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message