Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is a hard landing necessary to minimise runway needed?

Canuck wrote:

Just watch a bird land… definitely very short and very soft.

Well, it’s easy for birds. They are hyper-current on takeoffs and landings, and have their ‘innate’ sense of position where their feet are.

People who fly paramotors can probably do as well as their feet are their landing gear, not some remote set of wheels that aren’t attached to them!

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

well, it’s easy for birds. They are hyper-current on takeoffs and landings

It’s the jungle when CFI is not around

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@canuck
Great post thanks.
I’ll use some excerpts to explain what I mean to students.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ibra wrote:

It’s the jungle when CFI is not around

Let’s see if a human does better than the Guillemot having to land on the first flight with the instructor yelling instructions from another aircraft…

Biggin Hill

Indeed, one video I shared was a dual flight where both instructor & student crashed, here is commentary by Sir David Attenborough, curious to read the logbook commentary

It was not different while ago for humans, except the instructor was running by foot on the hill top while shouting for the solo student in a single seat glider, although they had logged enough dual time suspended by cables in 20kts winds…

The instructor suit have changed though

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jan 21:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

Why below?

Because to touch down before the official aiming point (and make your landing that much shorter), you’ll have to dip below the ILS/PAPI glidepath at some point, and stay below to touchdown. If you don’t, you’ll be at least at the official aiming point at touchdown…

ELLX

Ah makes sense. I missed the “short final” part and envisioned you below the ILS the whole way!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

That flying boat glider looks to be wicked fun!! I doubt there any examples of it left in the world?

EHLE, Netherlands

hmng wrote:

That flying boat glider looks to be wicked fun!!

Yes, though you have to have your touchdown technique pretty well refined, it’s not as easy nor forgiving as landing on earth, and, if you get it wrong, drowning is a risk!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The guillemot landings surprised me. My local guillemots land on tiny cliff ledges, and I’ve never seen one mess-up a water landing.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message