Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Irish Radio Phraseology

Peter wrote:

In the Irish / Welsh context, practically the whole issue is nationalist, which is why – apart from local govt imposed political correctness – few care about it

Sure, but I can’t see nationalist reasons for not wanting to speak Irish or Welsh.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the Irish … context, practically the whole issue is nationalist, which is why … few care about it

So how is the Irish language related to nationalism?

As far as I’m aware, many former British colonies / territories / dependencies use English as a working language, and a common language among people with different backgrounds. English is taught in schools as a secondary language. Yet people have kept their mother tongues at home and in the community – I have not seen anything nationalistic about this.

These countries have a set of official languages, and the Republic of Ireland has been independent for almost 100 years now.

Anyway, I should probably read up on some Irish history…

Last Edited by James_Chan at 24 Jul 09:45

James,

Irish languange won’t be an issue for you at all. I’d be very surprised if you hear a single person speaking it. It’s a few years since I heard anyone speaking it to communicate.

If Irish languange was needed to get by, then the vast majority of Irish people would be in a lot of trouble!

Even in the few areas where it is spoken as a first languange, anyone speaking to you will speak English. If they know you to be a local, they’ll speak Irish to you but other than that they’ll default to English.

Enjoy your trip. Where are you planning on going?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ah many thanks. Haven’t decided yet – will see!

Last Edited by James_Chan at 24 Jul 09:54

James_Chan wrote:

So how is the Irish language related to nationalism?

Ask that question in Northern Ireland and you’ll quickly understand.

Last Edited by alioth at 24 Jul 10:07
Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

In the Irish / Welsh context, practically the whole issue is nationalist, which is why – apart from local govt imposed political correctness – few care about it

To give a practical example, I went to school in Wales and it was compulsory to study Welsh until the end of the third year of secondary school (age 14). In theory, according to the published curriculum, I studied Welsh for 10 years – ages 4 to 14. The reality is that almost no-one took it seriously, and my grasp of the Welsh language is limited to a handful of words and literally one or two sentences. Contrast with German, which I studied for 2 years and in which language I can manage most of the normal tourist and everyday stuff.

I have a brother who is two years younger than me. After I finished studying Welsh the rules were changed to make studying it to age 16 compulsory and one actually had to sit a GCSE (the UK standard age 16 qualification) in it. I can recall many, many parents at the school being very annoyed at this change because they took the view that a compulsory GCSE in Welsh took up space in the timetable that could have been used towards a GCSE in a useful subject. Aside from this localised issue with Welsh, the only compulsory GCSEs in the UK education system are Maths, English and some sort of Science (the bright do separate Phys, Chem, Bio, the less-bright do one general science course).

Last Edited by Graham at 24 Jul 13:05
EGLM & EGTN

Some of those bits ahown on tha map above will be known as gaeltachts.
Back in my schooldays I went to one of those during the summer. No intention of learning any Irish of course, just the first holiday away from the parents. The people there did speak Irish of course but the younger ones only wanted to speak English to us outsiders as they saw speaking English as a way to get out of the place. That was 1965 and the country parts of Ireland were pretty seriously poor in those days.
Funny enough, the place I was at, Ranafast, is pretty near to Carrickfin, nowadays known as Donegal Airport. I suspect that in 1965 the 500 yard grass strip which was the original airfield was not even there.

Years ago I attended a summer school programme at Dublin University. It was some trip, in so many ways, however, as part of our Irish (I am an Irish citizen BTW) integration we were boarded onto an Executive Train which had been specifically hired for our party, and taken to Limerick. It was perhaps one of the more surreal trips I have ever been on and most were totally pissed by the time we reached Limerick. The executive ’’bit’’ was an old freight car with three piece suites and armchairs in it and a bar! Limerick was tumbleweed, and we went to a pub that had a talking Toucan called Thomas who spoke only in Gael. The locals were not that friendly to a bunch of Hooray Henry’s suited and booted from the UK, but when they found that most of us were Scots/Irish they softened…….a bit.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I went to school in Wales and it was compulsory to study Welsh… The reality is that almost no-one took it seriously

I’d imagine Wales (and Scotland and Northern Ireland for the matter) is somewhat different as it has been and still is part of the UK for the past few hundred years. So the monarchy from times of old would have ruled that English is to be the language to be used. So it didn’t surprise me too much when languages like Welsh, Scots, Manx and Cornish gradually eroded.

But now I’m learning that Irish in Ireland was associated with poverty, famine and emigration and gradually became a minority language… I originally knew English is widely spoken, but originally thought it was a bit like the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden where most people speak very good English, but would default to a native tongue when back at home.

Anyway, all very interesting!

Last Edited by James_Chan at 24 Jul 17:55
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message