Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ireland, Scotland, England, Isle of Man - summer trip 2019

Thanks to one other thread here on the forum we found out, that going via Dublin (EIWT) to the UK with our dog on private plane is possible. So we started our trip 2 weeks ago and ended with a little zickzack today back in Stuttgart (EDDS).

It was a great trip with several new impressions. The first one most of the guys here on the forum may share, was the excellent lunch at LFAT where we landed after 2 hours low level flight vfr. We came in for immigration and it was without any hassle.

Then we continued directly to Weston (EIWT) for the immigration of our dog.

Again a nice vfr flight and so we were really relaxed to enjoy an evening with music in Dublin. We had an AirBnB near Guinness, so no chance to avoid to take one.

Then we headed northbound, this time to the Orkneys, to EGES. On the ay we passed Giants Footpath in the north of Ireland.

On the Orkneys we landed on a short gravel runway and had to park in the grass to left some space on the small tarmac for the Islander. We had arranged PPR for all Orkney islands before, but finally the weather was not good enough to fly around. Even the Islander flights were cancelled until the day of our departure. And there clouds at 300 ft made it an ifr flight again.
But Dundee (EGPN) promised nice weather and so we defined it as our next destination.

The approach was great and the city itself very nice. The new museum beside the discovery is a must. We have been in an exhibition of video games there. In the morning we took the bus to Broughty Ferry. Nice castle, nice Beach.

Then the rain came back, heavy rain, and we searched for a better place and found Cambridge. So another ifr flight and back to the sun.

Cambridge forced us to stay for 3 nights, because the airport is closed for visitors on the weekend. Beside this, Cambridge was very touristik, in the hotel they first tried to fool us, because they tried to give us the worst room at all and charging the most expensive. But we could sort it out and it became a nice weekend.

Punting as all the other tourists.

Shakespear festival with nearly no tourists.
Beside of some short heavy showers, the weather was okay there until Monday. But Tuesday again it should rain. So we had a look on our wether charts and found the Isle of Man promising for the next 3 days. So this was another vfr flight.

To organise the handling at the Isle of Man was difficult with “Rendezvous”, it seems they do not exist anymore, and a bit lazy done by Private Jets when we arrived. So no refuelling on arrival organised. But on departure they moved a bit more after some mail exchange. But all in all we where charged only about 75 £, so it was okay.
The Isle of Man is great for hiking and sightseeing. And as we bought the GoAround card for 3 days we could travel with bus, railway and horse railway wherever we wanted.

As our holidays were coming to an end we departed ifr again to LFAT.

Near Liverpool.

This time it was really windy at LFAT, so good crosswind technik was necessary. This time we stopped only to get an espresso and then departed vfr to Amiens (LFAY) which is only 20 minutes away. The city of Jules Verne, with the swimming gardens was our final highlight. So we stayed here for two nights.

We could see the illumination spectacle from our hotel balcony.

The boat trip between the swimming gardens was really enjoyable. But then we had to leave. So in the evening we took a nice tapas diner at La Pēna. And departed today ifr again back to Stuttgart.

I hope, that the Brexit will not be the end for such flights. It would be a shame.

EDDS , Germany

You should have sent me a PM, I would have taken you for a beer and shown you a bit more of the Isle of Man! (Especially as you must have spent some time in the south where I live, given you’ve got pictures of the steam railway)

Is the huge hole in the ground the one near Leicester?

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Aug 16:08
Andreas IOM

Most Irish people would be sending that pint back!

EIMH, Ireland

You should have sent me a PM

@alioth It would have been a pleasure to meet you. But I didn‘t realised that you are based on the Isle of Man before. Most of the times I do post into AdHoc Fly Ins forum, when I do arrive somewhere. So did I on the IoM.

Is the huge hole in the ground the one near Leicester?

Yes.

Most Irish people would be sending that pint back!

@zuutroy Why?

Last Edited by eddsPeter at 19 Aug 10:07
EDDS , Germany

Oops, I forgot that thread existed!

Maybe next time :-)

Andreas IOM

The eddsPeter wrote:

@zuutroy Why?

The head is about 2x as large as it should be. People are very fussy over it! Apparently 20 mm is the limit :)

EIMH, Ireland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message