Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR Flight School recommendation

It is a lot easier to do NDB stuff in a plane which has an RMI

and any "glass" panel will give you that presentation. Then NDB procedures are very similar to VOR procedures, except VOR ones are much more accurate.

Re the Swiss thing, I have never heard of any other country formally using GPS in place of an ADF. I would speculate that Switzerland could do that because they were not in the EU so JAA compliance was even more voluntary than for the others.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Re the Swiss thing, I have never heard of any other country formally using GPS in place of an ADF

Except that isn't the official policy. At least not for approaches. What you can do is substitute GPS for an ADF enroute.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes - that was what I found. You still needed to carry an ADF to fly an NDB approach.

That was why my friend's IRT report suprised me.

The problem I see is that no school is going to put that sort of thing in an email...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting to see the widely varying attitudes towards the infamous NDB approaches taught in Europe (generally) and in the UK (bordering on the fanatical).

When I did my FAA IR a year so ago my instructor talked me through the various approach types we'd be doing. NDBs were not on her list and when I asked about them (knowing they were a hot topic in the UK) she looked at me like I'd just asked for a pony and trap for the ride into town - "we don't teach those, they're history" was the eventual reply.

Knowing that I'd never use an NDB approach 'for real', I've been putting off spending time, effort and money to convert my FAA IR to an EASA one. Especially since it seemed necessary to join a group of spotty youths to do an equally useless ground course. But with the CBM IR a step closer and the course mentioned by Rich as an IR course actually designed with the PPL in mind, I may have to reconsider.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Weren't we talking about EASA or JAA? Not the same thing as EU AFAIK

AFAIK the only nations in EASA but not in the EU are Norway and Switzerland and because they are non EU they have very limited rights to influence. EASA is not like JAA which was a collection of like-minded NAAs...it is an EU institution

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

In answer to the original question: try John Page at TAA Denham. They operate Cirrus SR2X with Garmin Perspective (G1000) and are very good indeed.

An alternative would be to do the training in the US where there are many good schools. I did my own IR with The flight Academy in Vegas and Seattle and they are also first class.

EGSC

I did my IR training at south Sweden school of aeronautics and I am very satisfied and had a good instructor (Mats). Don't let the looks of the website deceive you, their training is better ;)

They have a Cessna 172S with G1000 available, although they usually only fly that on the long x-country part.

Jonzarno, I don't think John can (yet) do EASA IR training? I may be wrong, in which case I would also recommend him.

I did my EASA IR at Wycombe in a G1000 C172, they now have two of these. Instructors are up for IMC, including when there's a risk of not being able to come back to base - ended up at Brize once. Only lesson we canceled had a SIGMET for severe icing and turbulence. I was happy with the experience overall, but I was probably much less prepared for real-world IFR (as opposed to IMC) than Rich who did his with Jim Thorpe.

EGTF, LFTF

Jonzarno, I don't think John can (yet) do EASA IR training? I may be wrong, in which case I would also recommend him.

Ah, perhaps my mistake: I thought TAA was qualified to do both FAA and EASA. Sorry if I got that wrong!

EGSC

i think the cb ir will change the face of ir training. at present all the approval and manual writing expenses have to be passed onto the student. we also have the situation where the ir test is going to set you back 1500 quid. the end result is that you are trained for a test route rather than how to fly ifr.

it looks like we now have the situation where you can train in your own aircraft (or a schools 172) this is not only bring the cost down dramatically but also bring in a different revenue stream who will have different demands.

good on Jim Thorpe for being so far sighted. it must of take some balls to fork a lot of cash out for that sim before this becomes law.

i can't want to improve get going on this.

Sign in to add your message