Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instructors and Solos

Hi All,

After a lengthy discussion with a fellow instructor I have the following question:

Is there a requirement for the instructor, that signed the solo student off, to be at the airport of origin while the student is flying his solo flight?

I think it is a sign of interest in his/her student well being, professionalism, and common sense to wait, but is there an actual regulation/rule?

Thanks in advance for advice and input.

Cheers,
R

Treeclipper
LEHC - EDDL

I am an instructor and have not seen that there is such a regulation nor can I find one. It just says that it shall be supervised. If there was any more details than this, it would probably be in an AMC or GM and that does not exist for that regulation.

I sometimes let a student fly solo when I am not on the airfield. But we speak before and after the flight and discuss the weather and all that. Sometimes I also watch on Flightradar. I would not do this with every student though.

ESSZ, Sweden

If you are flying for an ATO, the ATO manual should contain the rules on supervision, and given that they are subject to CAA approval, CAAs can impose specific rules that way.

Other than that, I’m with Fly310 – sending the student off, and being there for the debrief when he/she returns, and being contactable (within reason – you might be flying, for example) in the times between are the common sense starting point, but not cast in stone.

Biggin Hill

That is my exact point of view as well.

Thanks for your input

Treeclipper
LEHC - EDDL
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message