Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFD540 Review

Does GP work without maps, or when the subscription to any given database has expired?

Me complain? Never

What surprises me is that thus far nobody has written up any reports of these tools.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just seen in the USA that Release 10.0.3.0 was released this week and supposedly it fixes the EGNOS problem.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has applied this, and whether it fixes the loss of GPS position issue too.

Interestingly too, it appears possible for the aircraft owner to update the firmware but – for an N-reg – it needs an A&P signoff. No idea about an EASA-reg…

Administrator

Some IFD540 start to appear on ebay:
Link
Link

Belgium

Interestingly too, it appears possible for the aircraft owner to update the firmware but – for an N-reg – it needs an A&P signoff. No idea about an EASA-reg…

You don’t only need an A&P sign off, your equipment should also be checked with avionics testers. It can result in loss of warranty if not done by authorized personnel. Not sure how hard they are on that. For sure they are keeping records on the status.

EASA is nog applicable as it is not certified for EASA (yet)

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Some IFD540 start to appear on ebay:

Hmmm… possibly early position holders, doing the usual thing?

It can result in loss of warranty if not done by authorized personnel

Is there some written policy on this out there, Jesse? Avidyne told me their STC is valid only for their dealers (I posted it here) but the fact (the text in the STC) is that is not true. So it would be interesting to see how they play this…

We all know that a large % of Garmin 430 / 530 boxes were put in by non-dealers. I know one who has probably done 100 of them. IMHO, if all these were warranty-void, one would hear about it by now.

Also almost nobody can check GPS performance with a tester.

Administrator

Is there some written policy on this out there, Jesse?

Yes, the bulletins say “The Accomplishment Instructions contained in Section 3 may only be performed by appropriately authorized personnel.” Section 3 is the actual update and the checkout procedure.
For example, I have had one IFD540 which needed to return to the factory as the update failed. Not sure how they will respond if you would have had this issue this yourself. I doubt they will leave you with it, but they might not refund all costs made for example.

Also almost nobody can check GPS performance with a tester.

True, this is no requirement either, it is more VHF COM NAV / LOC / GS testing, and interfacing testing.

GPS test equipment is quite expensive, and not called for in any manual I have seen. Because I have had issues with those twice (once on IFD, once on GTN) I decided we needed a GPS simulator as well, so we can simulate GPS approaches etc as well. The same is true for databus analyzers, can do ARINC databus reading and writing as well to troubleshoot those issues, not to many shops equipped with that kind of equipment either.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

OK; interesting info…

Sandel too have a long list of checkout items which needs to be returned to them to register the warranty. But the installer doesn’t have to be an authorised dealer (which is IMHO a good thing for them since very few GA avionics shops actively install or even recommend Sandel gear; most push the Aspen) and I doubt they even look at that bit of paper.

Ultimately the warranty is only 12 months and after that, I assume, you pay the same whether you bought the unit from a gypsy traveller

A GPS simulator is impressive because it allows you to test the cabling etc.

Administrator

I have just seen a very brief post on a US site that EGNOS now works with firmware v. 10.0.3.0.

Administrator

Yes it does – that was from me :)

We flashed 10.0.3.0 into my IFD540 and put the aircraft outside and it showed ‘SBAS Nav’ indicating it received an Egnos signal.

The update also fixed issues some people were reporting of intermittent loss of GPS and a bug where in 8.33 KHz mode you couldn’t tune 25 KHz frequencies and vice versa.

Avidyne also announced about 50 improvements and new features in the next firmware release due out in a month or two including activation of Wifi and Bluetooth and a free Bluetooth keyboard that will be shipped to all owners.

Their support, investment and level of open communication is really impressive.

EHLE, Netherlands

Avidyne also announced about 50 improvements and new features in the next firmware release due out in a month or two including activation of Wifi and Bluetooth and a free Bluetooth keyboard that will be shipped to all owners.

I can see Peter drooling and checking his bank account…

Sign in to add your message