Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IAS fluctuation in turbulence

The wikipedia info is nice indeed. In particular the image below was very informative for me (fluid dynamics simulation, wind left to right, mountain in the middle – better description in this wiki article). I never realised mountain waves depart the range at a vertical angle of 45 degrees. Agree it fits with what I saw – mountain wave it is. I considered pressure variations as well but that doesn’t explain the GS changes.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

gallois wrote:

Could the answer be much more simple.
IAS is a result of the difference between total pressure as collected at the pitot and static pressure at a port out of the wind.
Pt -Ps =Pd (dynamic pressure)
As you travel through different air masses and different wind directions the Pd is going to change.

I’m not sure that’s a simpler explanation…

In any case, if the air masses have so different density that the IAS will change by 20% or more, then you would have a very noticeable frontal situation. It can’t be windshear either as that would only have a momentary effect.

Speed fluctuations like this can only be caused by up/downdrafts. Either waves or thermals. Waves don’t have to be mountain waves either. You frequently see weak but noticeable waves in and near inversions.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message