Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hypoxia

I have just read about a fatal Cirrus accident in the US

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74311

Sadly it looks as though the pilot may have lost consciousness through hypoxia.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but if you fly high enough to use O2, PLEASE carry and use a pulse oxymeter!

EGSC

Or get the O2D2 demand regulator, which starts beeping loudly if you stop breathing through the cannula.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do have an O2D2 and the oxy arm cannulas and am a big fan of the set up. I still carry and use an oxymeter though.

EGSC

One could argue that one should then use a permanently attached oxymeter (velcroed around a finger). They do exist but none I’ve seen are under a few hundred quid.

I thought about that but decided against since a high altitude cockpit already looks like an operating theatre and that would make it even worse.

The O2D2 is so effective in delivering the gas even to a slightly lazy breather – even at FL200 – that I think the audio warning is probably adequate… for me anyway (maybe not for a passenger whose high altitude tolerance is not established). One could not say that about any of the other systems I have used (e.g. the Precise Oxygen mechanical regulators) which were basically useless above FL160 and which needed regular monitoring with an oximeter.

The oxyarm cannula does however probably deliver less gas, because it seems to not fit into the nose as well as the standard cannula.

Administrator

I’ve come across this article

It is not related to this accident in any obvious way (even if it was definitely caused by straight hypoxia) but it does state a view that the FAA regs on the use of oxygen are too slack. I do agree with that view. This guy was pretty obviously hypoxic – even though he later claimed in forum postings that his altitude profile was within the FAA limits.

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Sep 06:56
Administrator

I have become mildly hypoxic once when flying. I was flying VFR at 12,500ft in the USA. I am young (compared to some anyway), fit and a non-smoker so I thought I’d be fine above 10,000 without any trouble. It was only when someone told a joke on the active frequency and I laughed far too loudly and for too long that I realised I was clearly slightly affected and I’d better descend.

Another important lesson learned painlessly.

London area

The only time I’ve been noticeably hypoxic was earlier in the year on the top of Pike’s Peak (on foot), 14110 feet elevation. It felt like I was on my second pint of beer.

Andreas IOM

At my cabin altitude of 8500-9500 feet, I am fine but certainly notice that it creates tiredness when I land after 2-3 hours of flight.

EGTK Oxford

The difference between 4-5000ft cabin altitude and 8000ft is huge. The big bizjets all advertise lower cabin altitudes. A colleague who now flies the 787, which has a very low cabin altitude reckons it makes a massive difference in crew fatigue on the long haul trips.

London area

At my cabin altitude of 8500-9500 feet, I am fine but certainly notice that it creates tiredness when I land after 2-3 hours of flight.

I was surprised it is so high. 8500 is your minumum cabin altitude, and that rises with outside altitude up to 9500?

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message