Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How windy.com enhances safety in difficult weather

We had a talk earlier this year from the Met. Office at the boat club. As far as precipitation is concerned, he explained the models are still not very good in predicting it.

For short range stuff on Windy I tend to use the UKV model. It does a pretty good job in these parts.

Andreas IOM

Windy on mobile (at least iOS) does now provide a “route planner” function, which works pretty well at first sight. This will be a useful addition for us!

BOD
LSGY, LFSP, LFHM, Switzerland

Windy on mobile (at least iOS) does now provide a “route planner” function, which works pretty well at first sight. This will be a useful addition for us!

You’re right but you can always open windy.com in browser on phone or tablet and use this functionality.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Knowing that TS will hit my area tonight, I checked forecast several times during the day.

Latest TAF for LDZA at 2030Z was:
TAF AMD LDZA 242035Z 2420/2518 22005KT CAVOK TX27/2513Z TN21/2503Z PROB40 TEMPO 2421/2423 33030G50KT +TSRA SCT040CB PROB30 TEMPO 2500/2505 1500 BCFG BECMG 2508/2510 25010KT
TEMPO 2509/2518 27015G30KT 3000 TSRA SCT030CB PROB30 TEMPO 2512/2515 1000 TSGR BKN030CB BECMG 2516/2518 04008KT

ECWMF (last data at 2030Z) gave pretty different picture for the same period with TS activity further to the west.

GFS forecast was kind of similar although based on some 4 hours older data.

Actual weather was like this.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

aart wrote:

On a slightly different note, my observation is that the blue and green shades in windy are not precipitation at all, both regarding the forecast and the actual weather. Yellow and red is. I’ve seen this numerous times. Not sure what the background of this is. Maybe an uncertainty factor? Anyone?

Blue and green is virga in my experience.

ELLX, Luxembourg

Peter wrote:

I also think windy.com does not forecast fog at all.

Not with the fog model but you can forecast it quite reliably with the sounding forecast for the location of interest.

ELLX, Luxembourg

That’s an impressive PPL course you have just done, hazek!

Equally impressive is forecasting fog with a forecast skew-t. For a start, there are different kinds of fog. Even I remember that, and I think my PPL met training was BS – rooted as it was in the WW2 methods so beloved of UK PPL training

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message