Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How not to hand start a plane

Dimme wrote:

Watch the video carefully. He was not alone. There is a passenger in the right seat that jumps out of the airplane when it starts rolling.

Ok, so he does it with a passenger in the RH seat and not another pilot in the LH seat. That’s even worse!!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AnthonyQ wrote:

However you slice it a Seminole

That one looks more like: “which part you want me to cut with my 3 blades prop?”
“tail please”, “I am not sure? tell me when to stop”,“…I said stop”, “…sorry too late”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I was almost going to defend the poor Cirrus-hand-propper, after all he has been through, and I almost wrote about how and why I hand-propped my Dakota (same displacement as the Cirrus) last summer, but I’ll just link to here
(scroll to the part that begins “Everything I Know About Flying I Learned From Social Media”)

Last Edited by huv at 28 Sep 15:01
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Nothing wrong with hand-propping if you know what you are doing. But without chocks? And with a pax in the RHS? Come on!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Good link @huv … however Paul is not quite right about a DC3 not being hand-startable. I have just seen WW2 footage of 3-4 guys all working together, starting some WW2 bomber, one engine at a time, and with one guy per prop blade, and that one was a lot bigger than a DC3

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m sure someone sent Paul B this sketch minutes after he wrote about the DC-3 being non-hand-proppable …

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

DC-3 being non-hand-proppable

Somehow true, the ones that fly these days: you need a heater and a starter, now sure how you hand-heat first?
(they have solid oil inside their engines in freezing temperatures)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

According to an old time commercial pilot I knew, in a crunch a rubber inner tube around the blade worked pretty well for rope starting on big radials. He flew DC-3s and DC-4s, ended up as US Air senior pilot and spent his money buying, owning and restoring antiques… about 100 of them in his lifetime. I know he did it

When I bought my plane in 2002 or so, and then learned to fly in it, the first lesson was hand propping. It couldn’t be started any other way. Despite that, I wouldn’t personally hand prop a flat six, the blade positions and compression/power strokes don’t cooperate well.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Sep 23:15

Geez, he shoulda’ just pop the chute !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Airborne_Again wrote:

But without chocks? And with a pax in the RHS? Come on!

There is no other way to start the L-18 C Super Cub, an I do it all the time with pax on board and no chocks. In 1953 a Cub took off by itself, no one on board. It happened after an accidental start by a solo student. It flew a circle around the city for 4-5 minutes before it crashed into some buildings You can read about it here (in Norwegian).

I have tried to hand start the Pawnee (O-540) a couple of times due to flat battery, but never managed to get it going.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message