Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people choose an airport by landing fee or fuel price?

I generally fly somewhere for a reason, the destination chosen because of something or someone I want to see. And for sure when I am looking at places to go, I will look at the whole cost of the trip. There is no point landing at a free grass strip miles from anywhere and paying 100euro each way for a taxi, or having to faf about taking taxi, bus and train for a couple of hours… For me you juggle the landing/handling fee with the hasle/desire to go there and the cost of getting from airfield to destination – its all about value for money.

Planning a trip I look for 2hr legs for comfort and adjust to fit airfields along the way with a max of 2.5hrs. This happens to work well when an Aeroclub DR400 has 3hr20mins Endurance. Flying an aeroclub aeroplane, you might think that fuel price isnt a factor. But as the club is “by members for members” I would be short changing myself if I didnt consider it – especially when flying abroad. Having said that, I do look at landing fees for fuel stops and self-fuel (Total card) options, but that isnt the driving factor, I also may prefer to stop somewhere because there is a nice ambiance or cafe/restaurant on site. I do try to work out a rough idea of fees for a trip and have to say the one thing I dont like is surprises. Nothing pisses me off more than landing somewhere and finding out their website hasnt mentioned mandatory handling, or a fuel service charge – I find pilot reports on the likes of SD, here and other forums invaluable for this – if there is doubt I call if I really want to stop there.

Regards, SD..

There is no point landing at a free grass strip miles from anywhere and paying 100euro each way for a taxi, or having to faf about taking taxi, bus and train for a couple of hours…

Sure. But in many places (not in France) it is nowadays more a matter of 200€ or nothing. That shuffles the cards anew. Tallinn is a good example, if one wants to visit that. 200€ at EETN. 0€ at EERA, but it‘s way in the nowhere a and either an expensive taxi drive or a lengthy ride on the train.

Bristol is a similar example. Valencia is another one.

Fact is, we have „lost“ many of the big airports in the last 20 years, due to excessive pricing for private GA.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 May 13:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I do. For me it depends on the actual value delivered.
Paying 200€ to be forced to waste time, hassled by handling, transport vans for 50 meter distances, security etc.. no thank you.

On the other hand, paying 50€ for normal treatment is fine.

Even better is paying 10€ and being left alone completely + 24h self service fuel pump.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Even better is paying 10€ and being left alone completely + 24h self service fuel pump.

Agreed.

Do you think the presumably new normal for a while of social distancing may encourage airfields to be less hands on? That would be a bonus outcome.

boscomantico wrote:

Bristol is a similar example.

Indeed. From the Isle of Man it makes much more sense to fly to Gloucester, ride the Brompton to Cheltenham Spa and get the train. Bristol’s fees are excessive and the airport is still in the middle of nowhere.

Andreas IOM

My approach is similar to @eddsPeter and @boscomantico: It is the overall cost and comfort, that is relevant, so it depends on the circumstances.
I flew to international airports, because it was handy, although expensive if you ask others. An example is EDDS Stuttgart. A typical SEP with 2 POB will be over 100€ just for landing, parking for some hours and leaving. But if you want to go to Stuttgart, you can get a free ride to the Terminal by the handler or walk to the S-Bahn station and take the train to downtown. No need for a car, taxi or other expensive ground transport.
In the US I sometimes choose the airport based on the rental car company at the FBO, because I had a cheap rate with Hertz, but not with National and overall it was worth higher upfront cost (ramp fee or similar). And of course when you make a fuel stop, the only things you need are cheap fuel and an airport with clean facilities on the way. That brought us to Borger, Texas and it was a perfect experience with a nice terminal and a crew car for free, but this is the US of course.
Especially in the US I sometimes felt it was worth to check the minimum fuel uplift to waive fees, because a higher fuel price could still mean a cheaper overall cost. But we also had the luxury of 84gal useable in a 1966 Beechcraft Debonair. So we ended up having a cheap mixed price, lower than our home base, despite paying nearly 6$/gal at some places (and around 3 at others to compensate)

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Peter wrote:

but does anyone really do that? I mean anyone who flies to a destination, rather than just a 15 min flight to another airport cafe?

I regularly fly “locally” to Elstree (EGTR) for a healthy food option I shop for fuel along the route, break-even is about 0.5E/L (for 70Gals that it is about 150E) but I no longer do channel crossings to France via Jersey

I avoid international airports except when I need customs or iffy weather, on average the hassle factor is just too much and random even when you lay down more than 100E…

Also, there is a high correlation between active GA scene and avgas price/availability & landing fees but it does not necessarily imply a nice destination though

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 10:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Exactly. Whilst ground transport options are usually better at the big airports (and therefore the time lost between leaving airside and arriving at the final destination is usually shorter a these) the time loss whilst airside (especially on departure) is usally much higher than at a typical airstrip or GA-only airfield. In total… well… it depends of course. But the hassle / stupid procedures factor is almost always there, and clearly favors small airfields.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

During my 6 years of flying I can count the airports with landing fee I have landed on in one hand.

ESME, ESMS

Me too, but I just don’t fly much ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message