Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far you can upgrade an old TBM700

For Sale

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The MT 5 blade propeller can be installed, giving a few knots and a significant reduction in noise and increased ground clearance.

The 900 series gear doors can be retrofitted as well ($11k), supposedly giving 3-4 knots and less noise but reduced clearance on grass.

Socata wanted to offer the 900 series winglets as a retrofit but cancelled the project to to lack of commitment from the fleet. The winglets improve low speed handling but do not increase speed.

There will be a G1000 to G1000 Nxi upgrade program for ca. $60k.

It’s remarkable how much Socata do for the existing fleet. Depreciation is about 10% in the first year and then 5% every year. A fully loaded 930 costs a whopping $4.3m + VAT.

Last Edited by achimha at 29 Sep 10:42

I’m not sure about the winglets. Heard they can be done from a sales rep.

Anyway, even the TBM930 is formally a 700N with a long list of modifications.

LPFR, Poland

Havent read it that closely but cant see mention of a hot section inspection. No mention of price (offers) but I guess with a recent hot section and around half life engine maybe around $800K or am I taking the proverbial? (assuming of course buyers market)

Winglets: I remember how a friend of mine who, who has worked in the development of the A320 wing told me for years that he is convinced that winglets are “pure fashion” (on that wing) and that he would not put them on and that it was proably an idea of the Marketing Department …

That does not mean that the TBM winglets must necessarily be useless, but there is a good chance.

Here’s an interesting page by NASA about winglets (“Some winglet designs have little or no effect, some actually make the drag worse because they increase the overall surface area of the aircraft model ….”)

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/winglets.html

The add lists this plane being out of annual since March 2017. So it will take that at least to make it fly again.

I personally would stay away from any G1000 (or any of the integrated solution airplanes) as costs for even relatively small things like WAAS upgrades e.t.c are astronomical.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It must have had a hot section at 1800, I’m assuming, unless he’s on the MORE program or something else that extends the TBO. A hot on a PT6 is normally not a terribly expensive affair. Obviously it can expensive if they find burned liners and stators etc, but with normal wear maybe anywhere from $5K-30K. The engine reserves left are in the ballpark worth about $150-200K. So, I agree, think this plane is in the $800-900K region.

You occasionally see early TBM’s creeping down towards $650-700K region, but then they normally don’t have much engine time left. But then again, if it’s on FAA registry, you don’t need to overhaul. This has been firmly verified by FAA.

I think you should buy it, Peter.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 30 Sep 03:32

I would be looking into that – example – if the situation back here was suitable for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message