Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can new helicopters be cheaper than new fixed-wings?

Yeah but you can’t pull a bird with a Cub

That is a major helicopter activity and alone is worth €300k

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

you’re dating the wrong girls Peter :-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

On Peter’s throw away line about the Cub, I know of one accomplished PPL who took his fiancée on a camping tour of French grass airfields for two weeks in an L4, just to make sure she wasn’t feigning her enthusiasm for his passion for flying. They have been married for some years now and fly together, mainly in a more typical high end touring aircraft.

(Minor rant – I seem to be unable to use the quote button when it pops up, it always just manages to quote a word, or part thereof, even if you highlighted a sentence)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

you can’t pull a bird with a cub

I can’t imagine pulling one with an R22 either.

LeSving wrote:

-and can land everywhere, only need a 10 by 10 m approximately flat area. You forgot that little detail

True! But I’m still under the impression that I misunderstand the question. $ 339,000 seems a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a craft that can carry:
- 2 people and some cargo over 300 nm which would take you 2hr45.

The OP seems to be saying this is an incredible deal…

The heli pilots say the same about fixed wing pilots, while taking yet another girl half their age to a posh country hotel or opera house, with a helipad

Administrator

Most Helicopter flights are WAY less than 300nm. From my office to Norwich is a 3 hour plus drive, on a good day, but it’s less than 100NM.
It would be quicker to fly a Helicopter to Norwich than go in a Citation. And a lot quicker than driving.

Shame I don’t have a helicopter or a licence to fly one

Last Edited by Neil at 13 May 09:39
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The OP seems to be saying this is an incredible deal…

When you compare it to fixed-wing aircraft, sure. 339.000 USD won’t buy you a plane with an O-540 or a comparable engine. It won’t even buy you a C172 without any options.

I’m not saying that this particular helicopter is cheap – I know next to nothing about helicopters. But it illustrates how completely out of proportion today’s fixed-wing prices are.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

In 2015, Robinson delivered 347 helis, which is quite a bit more than Cessna FW SEP sales

That said, when you throw in the air some figures for the costs, it doesn’t add up. Most of the selling price is gross profit, mostly or wholly wasted on fixed costs of old-style big companies.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The heli pilots say the same about fixed wing pilots, while taking yet another girl half their age to a posh country hotel or opera house, with a helipad

You sound jealous. Don’t be. It’s not what it appears to be.

Sign in to add your message