Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and EU VAT status

Hey Ibra! Thanks for the message! I thought the same unfortunately. Makes more sense to buy in the US if VAT has to be paid…

LILV, Italy

Shipping from the US will cost a lot more though And a prebuy in the US is just about infeasible unless it is something expensive, or so cheap (relative to your wealth) that you can just take the risk.

BTW you don’t need to transfer a G-reg to I-reg or D-reg etc, for 2 years at least – see here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah of course it will need a first person (with a mechanic) check on site. Hoping that borders will open up soon.
Regarding the shipping, my friend (who will buy the airplane with me) has a shipping company so we would save a few bucks ;)

LILV, Italy

Jacko wrote:

Taking my D140 as an example, nobody is going to charge me VAT if I fly it to NI and dump it there. Once it’s in NI, nobody is going to charge VAT if it goes to live in the Republic, as that would involve recognition of a non-existent “border”.

Don’t think the second half is true: Obviously, no VAT is charged if you bring a good from England to NI – but if you bring it from NI to the republic and therefore into free circulation in the EU import VAT obviously needs to be paid.

Germany

It’s hard for a non local to understand how vague the border is in Ireland. A very large part of the population here don’t recognize it as a concept, as it’s all the island of Ireland and that argument has merit. As a local I could see how Jackos proposal would work.

@Mark0505 if you’re not buying it, you might tell us about it on a pm. I like to park money in Piper’s etc.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 05 Jan 11:56
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

As a local I could see how Jackos proposal would work.

I think it would only work if you were bringing your own aircraft with you as you moved.

If you were selling it to someone in the Republic, then if import duties/VAT wasn’t paid, then the new owner would carry all the risk. I can’t see many buyers accepting that unless it’s already discounted in the price (which makes it pointless).

If you are bringing your own aircraft, you might get away with it, but you would always be looking over your shoulder, and there is likely to be plenty of capacity to bring it in tax free anyway if you are moving home permanently.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Off topic but shows how confusing things might get. I have just ordered some computer hardware from Amazon UK. I have had to pay for the equipment itself, plus postage, plus an export cost of about 15% of the price. So much for tariff free trade.

France

Most UK online sellers are holding their breath until March21 to deliver elsewhere, you are lucky to find one who can send stuff

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The zero tariff thing is for B2B only but should also apply to personal imports. It does not apply to personal allowances for travellers.

In fact you, as a non VAT registered body (I assume) should be better off, because pre 31 Dec the UK seller had to charge you 20% VAT, but now he charges no VAT (on all international sales, which is a useful simplification).

What is this “export cost”? Must be just a particular merchant taking the p1ss, or maybe amazon.fr doing it for UK imports? Or maybe amazon.co.uk doing it for all exports? The last one would seem unlikely since my business exports via amazon too, but we don’t use the (ripoff) amazon fulfilment service so maybe they do it there. Avoid amazon in that case.

From the UK seller POV all that has changed is that pre 31 Dec he just had to stick an address label on, whereas now he has to fill in a customs label and include an invoice. This requires an IQ of about 0.02 and takes about 1 minute because all accounting / order processing software does the invoice anyway And any business of any significance will have been exporting to non EU anyway so they will know this (with some exceptions eg a UK potato grower who only ever sold potatoes to Belgium).

Most UK online sellers are holding their breath until March21 to deliver elsewhere,

Not heard of that. Anybody who turns down business is an idiot

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not heard of that. Anybody who turns down business is an idiot

Surely the ones not used to export to China

I am not sure why load of UK online retails on Amazon were locked from Dec15 to Mar1st, may have to do with busy “local Xmas season, covid & brexit” and less workforce (so most likely concentrating on domestic market) or something to do with “retailer/Amazon contract”, it seems picking up now though…

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Jan 14:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message