Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are aeroclubs holding back GA?

It depends what other people do now or did in the past with “club aircrafts”? I flew in one aeroclub east Paris where oldies did VFR trips to Norway & Egypt in DR180, I don’t think they had issue with two rookie pilots taking it for few weeks to Netherlands or Morocco, as long as one had money & qualifications, sadly not much money back then nor qualifications neither

Same thing in my Mooney group, one member flew it to Oshkosh and other member twice to South-Africa, so I did not have to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin (or “sex des anges”) when taking it to Barra Beach, different experience to renting from hour building schools

I flew in one club where policy was not to take vintage aircrafts outside UK, turns out none of the oldies (the kind who walk in jet fighters suits flying wood & fabric) had never flew past the English channel, same thing flying TMG in gliding club: going over London City airport, +FL120 or down to Pyrenees did not look healtly to powerful but non-experienced members…

You will find it’s about other people past experiences, flying profile & budget than aircraft capabilities or club rules, in my grass strip, the microlight/ULM guys fly all over Europe every summer, last year it was Norway

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Apr 15:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

The third club I belong to is attached to an ATO and the members have 2x da42 5x DA40 a Tecnam, a TBM 700 and more recently a Phenom (can’t remember designation its a twin jet).

That’s quite a rental / club fleet ! Pretty amazing flightline.

@Jujupilote wrote:

The third club I belong to is attached to an ATO and the members have 2x da42 5x DA40 a Tecnam, a TBM 700 and more recently a Phenom…

Wow, where is this club located – do they have a webpage?

In theory there’s no difference betwe...
ME-03, Italy

I think you mixed with @Gallois. I have a feeling this club is at LFRB Brest.

LFOU, France

Exactly.

France

You can do that if there is

• a high concentration of wealth in the area
  • a club manager who is a “real pilot” and not some self-important personality
  • there has been a “progressive” flying school operating, turning out able pilots at a reasonable rate

I think there are very few candidate locations in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message