Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying a family plane (and performance calculations)

Why would someone fear not waking up?

This may require input from an Existentialist philosopher.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Apparently the brain produces a chemical during our dreaming to pacify and remove the panic of the self evident insanity of our dreams.

La vida es un sueño y los sueños, sueños son.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

Why would someone fear not waking up?

This may require input from an Existentialist philosopher.

Not “waking up” from general anaesthesia I mean. In Germany at least many more patients are more afraid of anaesthesia than of the surgical procedure itself, strangely enough. I think it hasmainly to do with loss of control over oneself. Like a passenger to a pilot, a patient under anaesthesia is giving full control over his fate to somebody else, in this case the anaesthesiologist and the operating team.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Not a sufficiently existentialist answer. Can you fear something that could never be aware of happening?

It’s like the tree falling in the forest.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Can you fear something that could never be aware of happening?

Absolutely. As MedEwok sais it is the fear of loss of control. A doc I sometimes talk to told me of several instances where they had massive problems applying anaesthesia to people who panic at the idea. Quite a few people will stall and delay necessary operations due to that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

And the fear of creating sorrow for loved ones left behind I suppose.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Not everyone will be sorry Some like the inheritance.

Just think… If it was me, you would have the unmoderated forum which 3.76% have demanded

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice thread drift. Who’s creative enough to find a bridge to bring us back from death to family plane ?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@MedEwok has this thread changed your plans ?

It’s a shame group ownership doesn’t seem to work for so many people. To me it sounds perfect for the amount of utilisation (30 hours of so) you are predicting and all of the fixed costs would be shared.

Are groups a more UK phenomenon?

You need to convince a few other Drs at work to take up flying!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Sorry, but that’s enough plane talk….

Back to existentialism: I always wondered why we worry so much about the infinity of time of non-existence after “not waking up” / dying, but are completely comfortable with the fact that we did not exist for an infinity of time before we “woke up” at the beginning our our lives..

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message