Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport management discussion - USA versus Europe and why Europe is so often so screwed up

C210_Flyer wrote:

Really? Then when you come to the US, try digging into your pockets and tipping the wait staff (waiters and Waitresses). There the experience is Europeans are known not to tip for services. Maybe because its optional and the honor system and they feel unconstrained and so leave little or nothing. Not to be caustic but such a statement demands a pushback.

That is because Europeans are used to even wait staff having a living wage.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

kwlf wrote:

Trump has advocated privatising US airports along European lines. Details seem sketchy, but I wonder what that would mean for GA in the USA?

He is reading from a script and most of his advisors are idiots. He is on the Titanic turning a ships wheel which is detached from the rudder. Time will prove me correct.

KHTO, LHTL

Alexis wrote:

That’s incorrect, no matter how many times it is repeated.
There is NO signed agreement about the “2 percent”, it was loosely agreed on that the goal is to work towards the 2 percent, that’s it. There was no date set*.

I got that direct from CNN so it must be correct.

KHTO, LHTL

Alexis wrote:

most Germans do tip just like Americans. But while we’re at it, what Germans do not like is the new fashion, like in NYC and some other places, to put the tip on the bill automatically.

The only reason it was necessary was because of the way it was put. Although he did say for “a great part”. However Ive dealt with many waiters and waitress and thats their opinion as expressed to me. Perhaps they were looking for the 15% usual and customary not 10% or less for their service. However we digress the discussion was about paying for a service.

Alexis, There is a the reason they put the Tip on the bill. I dont agree with it because it is for your service. So if its bad you tip less or not at all and if its great you tip more.

Here is the Key

0 if you get very lousy service Grumpy waiter argumentative and brings out a warm dish when it should be hot.
10% if the service was less than average like they forget to bring out something you ordered.
15% if its average with a smile
20% if they are helpful everything is brought out correctly and you want to go back for your next meal.
If she or he is hot 25%*
If they give you their number maybe up to 30%*

Or you can tip anywhere in between its a sliding scale.

* this part is in jest.

KHTO, LHTL

Airborne_Again wrote:

That is because Europeans are used to even wait staff having a living wage.

I was sitting for Lunch at EDMS with a guy who flew a twin. He was in his late 60s. When leaving I left a tip he didnt. I asked arent you leaving a tip? No thats enough, was his reply. He must have thought they were getting paid enough in wages. No wonder I get a nice smile after I pay my bill. Just an experience I had.

I personally like to have someones income tied to their performance. A good waiter/waitress can pull in several $100 a night or shift on top of their below minimum wage. They hustle to give good service knowing the tip is dependent on it.

I dont agree with MCDonald’s, Wal Mart, etc giving below living wages. I agree with you there.

KHTO, LHTL

Completely unusual that somebody in Germany would not tip. I never see that, it is a standard to tip 10 percent minimum.

Alexis,

“normal” people would certainly give appropriate tips in a restaurant, but that example was with a pilot, so to say one wealthy guy and I have seen such people to give no or very poor tips . That was just one of quite a few observations that I had that changed my view about “respectable” people of the more “upper class”. I will not get into more details in a forum like that, I guess some forumites could join in with more of that . . .

Vic
vic
EDME

A lot of people know one legendary TBM owner there who demands a restaurant bill, for a table of say 10, to be divided up exactly rather than the total divided by 10. An hour later a p1ssed-off waitress turns up with 10 exact bills. Usually they are within a few € of each other, of course. Another one loads up his coat pockets with stuff from the hotel breakfast buffet before leaving to fly on. So one cannot generalise… the pilot population has “quite a bit of variation” within it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

Really? Then when you come to the US, try digging into your pockets and tipping the wait staff (waiters and Waitresses). There the experience is Europeans are known not to tip for services.

Much as I feel ‘European’, Europe is a very diverse place, so I find that a nonsensical statement.

Personally I try to do whatever is culturally expected wherever I go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity but in my heart of hearts I find tipping slightly demeaning. The only good thing I can say about it is that I passive-aggressively enjoy not tipping people from time to time.

I prefer the Japanese approach. Tipping is insulting. If you ever leave coins or notes behind, the waiter will follow you outside to give you the money you forgot.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message