Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Drone delivery of packages, and restricted areas for drones

No doubt the CAA team included the usual suspects.Also note that the operator of the drone is being funded by the English Space Agency who have management seconded from CAA and their accounts show large payments to the CAA.Interesting times!

You can bet the usual people are sitting on the usual committees, grinding the usual axes under the table.

Many years ago I sat on a British Standards committee and it was hilarious. Nobody even bothered to hide it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko highest vertical limit is 950feet which should not cause any problems except in very poor weather.Given the strong winds and the terrain in the area and the low forward speed of the drone it is unlikely to be able to operate meaningfully on many days.I have happily shared class G with all comers for many years.Why not operate them at low level to a promulgated schedule and fit with a large strobe like pipeline helicopters.Given the special treatment the CAA deem necessary for safety I think the people on the ground are the ones who need to be most concerned.I believe the drones are not certified to any recognised airworthiness standard …now that is alarming with operations near busy areas!

United Kingdom

Why not have 500 feet as the limit? That would all but eliminate any conflict with other traffic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Mostly yes, but not entirely. Remember the UK does not apply SERA’s 500-foot minimum cruise altitude.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Practically nobody will fly below 500ft over the open sea, however.

Similarly I can’t see why the drone DAs over the Channel go up to 1500ft (and went to 4500ft at one point) but it could be so they can see further. Up in Scotland, there are no immigrants trying to cross

For delivering goods, they could fly much lower than 500ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Mostly yes, but not entirely. Remember the UK does not apply SERA’s 500-foot minimum cruise altitude.

?! “500 ft from any person, vehicle or vessel”, right?

EGTR

Sure, but that does not necessarily mean 500 feet above the ground or water, as is required by SERA.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Jan 11:31

boscomantico wrote:

Sure, but that does not necessarily mean 500 feet above the ground or water, as is required by SERA.

I would expect that UK pilots generally keep to 500 feet above ground as it’s not always easy to ensure that there are no people within 500 feet.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Jan 13:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

boscomantico wrote: Sure, but that does not necessarily mean 500 feet above the ground or water, as is required by SERA.

I would expect that UK pilots generally keep to 500 feet above ground as it’s not always easy to ensure that there are no people within 500 feet.

Usually higher than 500ft for that reason – if fly over a small hill with people on it, then you are done. :)

EGTR

Sure.

Sign in to add your message