Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting your flight training tax deducted

@Dublinpilot : the German situation described by what_next seems very similar to Austria. I can’t comment on integrated training, however, as I never researched that aspect.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Peter wrote:

I wonder if this helps to explain the Italian aeroclub problem where the charitable status of the club prevents them selling avgas to visitors?

Or it’s possible they can buy their fuel VAT free (or get VAT refunded) and the rules either don’t allow sale to the public or it would be additional hassle they don’t want.

In Poland it is excise tax, not VAT, that makes the difference between club avgas at 1.7 euro per liter and normal avgas at 2.2. Yes, it comes from the same tank. VAT applies to both, at the same rate (23%, the prices listed are both inclusive of VAT).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

What is the situation like today in the UK?
Having recently completed a modular CPL/IR while also being employed, can I claim tax relief? If so, how?

EDDW, Germany

Does anyone know if UK airline pilots can deduct their training costs from income tax?

It would be highly relevant to the question, because most of them don’t fly outside their airline career, so the training would be fully towards that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A question for an accountant and depends on circumstances. Not an accountant but recurring training for professional self employed pilots is to a limited extent deductible. I don’t believe initial training qualifies.

Most self employed airline pilots the recurring training is paid by the airline.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

As Robert says, it will depend on the circumstances. And if you are employed as a pilot or self employed as a pilot (which many airline pilots are) can change the position too.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message