Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the EU Dead

C210_Flyer wrote:

Just leaving the Schengen zone from Hungary is a PITA.

In which way is leaving the Schengen zone from Hungary different from leaving Schengen from any other member country?

C210_Flyer wrote:

Now the next question is going forward can I fly to an airport from Hungary that does not have Customs on site or will I have to land at a Customs airport?

Nothing has changed AFAIK, except that there may be passport controls – on the highway, on aerdromes, whereever…

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Stephan_Schwa wrote :
I have to admit that all that frenzy about changes also got to me. Remember when I falsely believed autorouter were avoiding France due to some new rules? All that panic causing rule changes here and there can make you end up being quite confused. I still don’t understand why Colmar LFGA requires a flight plan for every flight now – just one example.

I know Peter warned about thread drift, but I have a question on this. I fly back from the UK (Heathrow) to GVA regularly. The past 3 weeks this has been on a Friday and BA have been flying via Bruges, Luxembourg, then via CH airspace (Basel, Bern, Lausanne, GVA). The reply staff are giving me is that it is because of new rules for FR ATC. This morning coming into the UK, again from GVA – flight again took 1.45 hours versus 1.15 normally via the same much longer route. Does anyone know why that is the case and what has changed in French ATC rules? Maybe one of the airline posters on the forum? thanks Wim.

PS Peter feel free to move this post if I infringe on the rules – not on purpose just curious.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Schengen may be suspended, but the EU is not being suspended.

Schengen is vulnerable because it allows human travel (Immigration) without passport checks (which more or less implies without any checks) and that is tricky given the terrorist threat.

EU is to do with movement of goods and AFAICS that doesn’t really impact on the terrorist angle. Well, not unless you need an excuse to stop and search people and vehicles, but you can do that for the passport check anyway.

The other thing which creates ambiguity is that in “international aviation speak” an airport with “Customs” does both Customs and Immigration, with very few exceptions. Germany and Italy only offer separate facilities at some airports, AFAIK. These facilities might disappear if Schengen gets suspended big-time – as discussed here before in several threads. But few people seem to know about this concession.

No problem LFHNflightstudent – it’s all the same stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter, so if it is all the same stuff – this was our track this morning :-) – flight is BA723 GVA – Heathrow. And it has been like this for the past 3 weeks – normally our route would be via Paris direct. I tried looking at NOTAM’s etc but cannot find anything but the BA captain is saying there is a new ATC system which imposes the much longer route over France. Been like this since the Paris attacks and thought it had to do with the climate conference first but now this seems to continue..,

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Flying the route VFR and having to circumnavigate ALL the restricted areas in France couldn’t take longer – at least not in an A320

Last Edited by europaxs at 21 Dec 18:59
EDLE

Peter wrote:

Schengen may be suspended, but the EU is not being suspended

Neither is suspended. It is will within the framework of Schengen to enact temporary border controls, as has been the case multiple times in the past.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

blueline wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:
Just leaving the Schengen zone from Hungary is a PITA.
In which way is leaving the Schengen zone from Hungary different from leaving Schengen from any other member country?

C210_Flyer wrote:

I could be wrong assuming Customs clearance is only required on inbound flights in other countries. For Hungary you have to clear both ways not just on arrival.

KHTO, LHTL

Speaking about Customs. How is it that the disenfranchised religious zealots were able to bring machine guns, grenades, bullets into the EU while there are such strict gun controls in the European countries? Shouldnt Customs be checking for that kind of contraband while they profiling who they are letting in? Oh my God profiling is so politically incorrect.

Now Alexis Im not complaining about having to go through Customs just surprised. My fault because I hadnt kept up with all the back peddling the politicians are doing.

KHTO, LHTL

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Thanks Peter, so if it is all the same stuff – this was our track this morning :-) – flight is BA723 GVA – Heathrow. And it has been like this for the past 3 weeks – normally our route would be via Paris direct. I tried looking at NOTAM’s etc but cannot find anything but the BA captain is saying there is a new ATC system which imposes the much longer route over France. Been like this since the Paris attacks and thought it had to do with the climate conference first but now this seems to continue..,

There apparently is a new paperless ATC system being introduced which has meant lots of slots and delays through French airspace. But it is open. I passed through today fine.

Track

EGTK Oxford

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

there is a new ATC system which imposes the much longer route over France

Maybe due to ERATO

Brest ACC seems to introduce a stripless system. Seems like they reduced sector capacity within LFRR, thus causing quite a bit of delay. Seems like BA wants to avoid this…

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message