Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What stops you posting on EuroGA?

Well I’m a regular reader but a rare poster. Mainly for the reasons that Peter Mundy mentioned – once someone has made my point, I don’t usually see any reason to +1 it. And because I’m not very knowledgeable compared to many others on here. And also because I’m normally on an iPad which isn’t conducive to long posts.

A quick point about non-native English speakers. I often find myself wondering whether xxxx, whose location is EDXX or EBXX or similar, is a Brit abroad or a very good second-language person. So if anyone ought to make excuses/apologies it’s us Brits, who are terrible at learning foreign languages. The only one I can speak is French, badly (though I can read a couple of others, also badly). The regional distinctions I see are cultural rather than linguistic – and it’s good to be exposed to other cultures.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

If anybody here speaks “ok German” … make a test: discuss a simple topic with me in German. You will see how hard it is.

Na, gerne..! Und die Deutsche Sprache ist nur meine vierte. Also über welche einfache Sache soll man mal reden?

Regarding the use of languages: if this forum truly means to be pan-european, I think it should tolerate at least short phrases in other languages. I am sure at least French and German are readable to a fair deal of participants, and translations could be added voluntarily. Actually, a "translate < poster > " action could be introduced, quite akin to the "quote < poster > " already on offer.

Last Edited by at 12 Nov 22:41
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Alboule wrote:

humble VFR club pilot, will probably never reach in an entire lifetime. What interesting information can I give to you? Except maybe a few hints on the local restaurants or airfields, which I try to share as much as I can.

Don’t be so humble, after all.

I remember e.g. the thread about my lavender trip to France, where I received lots of very helpful information from you that wouldn’t have been available in that way from the “official” sources. The trip couldn’t be executed in the end, but that’s a different matter.

Generally, it’s not only that there is a predominance of IFR/high-level/oxygen/etc. topics being posted – it’s also that these topics receive more resonance in the forum than “lower level topics”. And that’s not to say that the answers to those are rude or non-existant – that’s not the case. But the controversial topics that are discussed in full depth are usually at a level that for a certain number of readers is irrelevant. Also, it is my perception that complex/IFR/… trip reports tend to receive more “applause” than simpler trips, which is a serious discouragement to do write-ups for many, I suppose. But then, I’m not sure there is a need to proactively change anything. This is more or less a characterization of what this forum is and it has its strengths and weaknesses.

The wealth of information and the quality and depth of posts is amazing and at the same time, I believe it’s this very fact that makes euroga not very welcoming to e.g. student pilots – even if there is a section for them. I know one guy from another forum where he’s been posting quite a bit and we actually met up and went flying together and I suggested euroga to him because I do believe he’s a good fit. After a while, we reconnected and he’s now beginning his PPL course and he told me he does read euroga quite a lot, but feels he has little to contribute (btw “hi”, if you read this and think you know who I mean ).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I have read a lot, most of the time willing to post. I guess I am just lazy….

Time for me, I think this is a great forum but I arrive late on many of the threads and when I don’t think I have anything new to add I prefer to pretty much shut up. There are also a bunch of very knowledgeable people here on subjects around mechanics and avionics – I am no engineer and have limited interest in them so won’t necessarily have much to add.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Im not sure if it was already mentioned, but could it be because some people are not comfortable with English since it is not their native tongue?

KHTO, LHTL

Yes, I mentioned that already and it is a BIG factor. Although i can’t do it perfectly I am USED to writing in English, because it was a part of all my jobs for 25 years .. but that’s not the case for many other people. I personally know two guys who can speak English ok but who don’t feel comfortable writing in English.

It’s also a personality thing. I don’t care if I make mistakes and I will try to get my point through .. sports for me and good practice … others are more shy and are intimidated more easily.

Peter wrote:

Obviously only a small % of these people post here.
The Q is… why not?

Because my English is very poor – only level 4

Seriously it’s not that easy to formulate a post as it is for a native speaker, so longer posts (as on the Experimental sector) take quite some time for me – which I often don’t have and I think the Google-translator is not an option

EDLE

Because my English is very poor – only level 4

I take it from the smily that that is a joke. But if you are serious and your English has been rated as level 4, and your spoken English is anything like your written English, then you need to find a different examiner next time! In written form, I couldn’t distinguish your English from a native speaker. It’s certainly level 6 in written form!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

To me EuroGA is by far the best aviation collaboration site to follow. But I’m much more of a lurker than contributor.

Then again, I think it’s fair to say much of the discussion centers around the high end of personal flying and maybe intricacies of certain national aviation practices. Also, the prevalence of native British English speakers does flavo(u)r our discussions. Many people are used to (American) TV English and Brits may come across a bit snobby. No pun intended at all, but I observe this at work every day.

Nothing wrong with either, but the average recently PPL’ed non-English-speaking pilot may sometimes get intimidated. Can’t serve all, I guess.

Coming to think of it, a ‘feed’ format might be interesting. To make it more collaborative and add other types of media into the threads.

EFHF
Sign in to add your message