Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DGAC objecting to cost sharing / flight pooling in France

[ local copy ]

That seems to me to be a well written bit of work, @bookworm – thanks for posting it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The ANO review says that “However [commercial flight training] would still be a commercial operation for airworthiness purposes and therefore attract the applicable requirements.”

That, I think, is a crucial point for any non-profit organsisation offering flight training hoping to use the ELA1 rules to reduce maintenance cost. Are you offering flight training to “the public” if flight training is only offered to members, but membership is open to “the public”?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They continue going berserk…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

At least this

Quant aux vols de navigation d’un point à un autre – les plus demandés sur les sites de coavionnage – ils seront réservés aux pilotes professionnels ou aux pilotes privés détenteurs d’une qualification IFR de vol aux instruments ou d’une qualification d’instructeur.

may increase the take-up of instrument rating training (for the non-French speakers: sharing flights from A to B will be reserved for pilots with instrument or instructor ratings or a CPL). You have to see everything positive to get enough citizen points to still be allowed to fly in France.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 23 Aug 19:30

Yes. They are trying to pull off the same stunt as with the minimum altitudes. But this time I doubt that EASA will turn the other cheek

LFPT, LFPN

I google translated that as follows

What does this exactly say regarding what exactly needs the (I assume) CPL or ATPL or IR or FI? Is it the act of advertising the flight on a website? What about advertising on facebook? Or on the wall of a flying club? Or in a instant messaging group?

How do French pilots advertise cost sharing, historically?

In the UK it was allowed only within a “club” (whether a website meets this was never clarified either way) and all passengers had to be club members.

But this time I doubt that EASA will turn the other cheek

Probably the same will happen as with bullfighting. It isn’t politically big enough for the EU to fight France on this. Also, in France the DGAC pretty well owns the flying club scene, right down to the individual President level.

Administrator

I’m just now following this thread (thanks so much guys!) and this quote just nails it on the head for GA.

Peter wrote:

Your own plane and going it alone is the best way everywhere.

No schedules, no obnoxious oversight and total freedom to fly when/where I choose, at my own expense and risk.

Uber for the sky will really take off when AC like the Joby and other projects take off.

Last Edited by AF at 23 Aug 21:51

@Peter It’s as I wrote – for A to B flights you need an IR, CPL or instructor rating according to that article, whereas A to A flights can be made by PPLs with 200 hrs total/25 in the last 12 months and enough citizen points.

for A to B flights you need an IR, CPL or instructor rating according to that article, whereas A to A flights can be made by PPLs with 200 hrs total/25 in the last 12 months and enough citizen points.

Sure, but my Q was more specific.

Currently a French PPL can do A-B flights, obviously, as can any other ICAO PPL in a certified aircraft. It’s known as carrying passengers, and all jurisdictions I know of allow cost sharing. Where is the line drawn here?

The citizen points is a joke, surely?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Currently a French PPL can do A-B flights, obviously, as can any other ICAO PPL in a certified aircraft. It’s known as carrying passengers, and all jurisdictions I know of allow cost sharing. Where is the line drawn here?

That is an interesting question, whether the deciding criterion will be that money changes hands, or that the flight is in addition advertised on a portal. Even from the horse’s mouth comes no clarity, at least until we can see the wording of their regulation. In the introduction, they write of flight sharing platforms on the internet, but in the text they don’t define to whom the conditions set forth are to apply. They could at least have linked to the text from their press release.

What is interesting is that they cite Article 14.1 of EU Regulation 216/2008 (the so called “Basic Regulation”) as the basis of their intervention, which reads:

Flexibility provisions
1. The provisions of this Regulation and of its implementing rules shall not prevent a Member State from reacting immediately to a safety problem which involves a product, person or organisation subject to the provisions of this Regulation.

The Member State shall immediately notify the Agency, the Commission and the other Member States of the measures taken and the reasons therefor.

Shaky grounds, I’d say.

Peter wrote:

The citizen points is a joke, surely?

Yes, a sour one though because I think this is not far from the Chinese idea.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 23 Aug 22:14
Sign in to add your message