Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kemble airfield "vibrant new village"

10 Posts

Looks like it is only a matter of time before another one bites the dust. A great shame, I like visiting Kemble and have friends nearby.

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Kemble-Airfield-turned-vibrant-new-village/story-26039933-detail/story.html

Not one word in the article about the airfield itself. As if it were already closed…

EDDS - Stuttgart

I think this (Kemble closure) is not very likely to happen, but yeah you never know. In the long run all UK GA airfields are doomed, in theory, because there is no generic planning protection (e.g. a required part of transport infrastructure).

If (or actually when, because people die eventually) the landowner sells up, all that matters is whether the property sharks (who are constantly circling every airfield) do or do not find a more attractive fish to fry.

It has been argued that the future of UK GA lies in setting up of farm strips, but that’s OK only for a section of the aircraft type spectrum, and there are big issues with that too even when you have one running. Mostly to do with most people looking for a free ride, so the condition of the grass tends to be substandard. The 28 day rule is extremely restrictive too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If (or actually when, because people die eventually) the landowner sells up, all that matters is whether the property sharks (who are constantly circling every airfield) do or do not find a more attractive fish to fry.

Here in Germany we have the 99-year-hereditary-leasehold (don’t know if that is the correct legal English term for “Erbpacht”) upon which many smaller airfields are operated. It’s almost impossible to get out of that for the landowner, his inheritors or anybody he sells the land to. A lease of this kind actually makes any piece of land unsellable, unless the 99-year limit is close.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You could do a similar trust arrangement here in the UK, and that’s what I would do if I was setting up an airfield properly.

But, exactly as you say, it makes the land worthless for property development (well, all the time the trustee(s) remain(s) an aviation enthusiast(s)) which is probably why it is not done in the first place…

All farmers here are very sensitive to doing anything which would make it harder to sell up big-time to a developer. (Many years ago I tried to buy a field for my then wife, who was horse-crazy, and saw a bit of this). One farmer up the road from here got a reputed £30M (probably 100x the agricultural bulk land value which is about £3k/acre) for selling a track of land to a house builder. You just need one deal like that and you can get out of farming and have a “great life” going boutique shopping with your wife OK, that was an exceptional deal but a million or two is common, for a few houses (£100k-200k/plot with planning permission is normal).

Administrator

two things make me believe that Kemble will continue:

1) The owner, Ronan Harvey, has just spent a shedload of money on lighting to allow night flying – why make that investment if he’s intending to sell?

2) the royals quite like having an airfield to fly in and out of nearby

Also there are enough companies on the base – just think of the flying clubs, the aircraft scrappers, AV* restaurant and so forth – so any potential closure could possibly impact a large number of taxpayers, just such that a company like Commercial Estates Group can make a couple of Million building rabbit hutches on an airfield……

EDL*, Germany

Peter, I wish agricultural land was £3000/acre. Maybe it was when you were looking to buy, but it’s gone up a lot.

I know a block of land in my village, about 50 acres, sold earlier this year for £11,000 / acre. Another smaller piece sold for around £10,000/acre late last year.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’m reminded of the ‘farmers meetings’ in Germany, nice social events in which few of the participants do much in the way of farming… They’ve sold off enough land to live well on the proceeds, and their farm house is inside the village anyway (which is the way German farmers have always done it, very sensible). BMW pays well when they buy land for a test track

The 3k is what a farmer told me for a large bulk deal, say 1000 acres, of agricultural land on which there is “absolutely zero” (is there such a thing?) chance of any development, between two farmers.

The moment there is the slightest smell of possible development, even in decades’ time, the price goes up immediately.

The moment any non-farmer asks the question, the price goes up several times immediately.

If the land is anywhere near houses and could be used to create a large garden, or put horses in, it goes up 10x right away. I was looking at 50k for 2 acres in 1995 (for a horse).

If it adjoins your house, 30x right away.

If the farmer knows you are into flying, 30x right away too

Administrator

This is what Savills think Link

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message