Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin now do terminal charts

My reading of the Garmin press release (see the 1st post) is that this is a product for their harware platforms – panel mount and handheld – rather than an app for a phone or a tablet.

If I was Garmin, that’s what I would do, because “my” business is selling boxes, not selling Ipad apps.

Also I don’t see an obvious reason why Garmin could produce Jepp-quality terminal charts for Europe for less money than Jepp. It is a lot of work, extracting the data from the national AIPs and other places. All the while just about every professional/commercial user will be flying with Jepps, for ever.

More likely this is a move to pre-empt something that Avidyne might do on their IFD boxes which might, just possibly, arrive sometime this decade

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 08:59
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finners,

I looked at this
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing/

and if you select 695/6 it shows one off Flite Charts at $125 and an annual subscription at $349.95

For me the value is that it is packaged to reside in and integrate with the Garmin device, and is Geo Referenced.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Thanks Denopa

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Is there any update on the Garmin Pilot app for Europe?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Not yet but supposed to be imminent.

EGTK Oxford

How many here think that Garmin are really going to compete with Jepp, and not just republish the free AIP charts?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They are definitely going to just republish the AIP charts but add georeferencing. Could be a combined VFR and IFR app which does not really exist yet in Europe.

Being able to replace Jep panel mount charts is a major step however.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Jun 22:31
EGTK Oxford

Garmin’s new charts don’t work on the 795 if one already has the Jepp charts installed (as indeed I have). I downloaded the Garmin charts and they were invisible on my device. I called Garmin and they said “yes the website should warn you that the new charts don’t work if you have Jepp installed”. They haven’t refunded my money yet but have promised to do so and to call me back. They haven’t done that yet either.

Not in the least impressed with Garmin. I think they do better with their mass-market (road) products.

Ho hum

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Ha, you should try dealing with Jepp….

EGTK Oxford

> Ha, you should try dealing with Jepp….

Three calls to change my address … still not done

EGEO
Sign in to add your message