Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much regulation would you like to see in GA?

The UK Red Tape Challenge interim report has just come out.

It might be worth reading this and seeing if a similar move can be done in your respective countries also. There is a lot of interesting bits in the report.

Last Edited by Peter at 31 Jan 16:32
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How much regulation would I want?

I would want EASA to visit landings.com, download the PDFs of 14 CFR, then do a search and replace from “FAA” to “EASA” and publish that, job done. It would save a metric buttload of money, and by harmonizing Europe with the United States would make interoperability between GA’s largest market and Europe about 100 times easier.

Andreas IOM

download the PDFs of 14 CFR, then do a search and replace from “FAA” to “EASA” and publish that, job done

Actually JAA did just that some years earlier. They did no even bother renumbering a lot of the paragraphs.

The problem is they added a lot of gold plating.

Then the national CAAs added stuff to protect jobs back home.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And EASA did the same again some years later. CS-23 was initially a copy of JAR-23, which as Peter says was taken straight from FAR-23. But these standards are still prohibitive for GA manufacturers to develop good and safe light aircraft designs, partly because they cover everything up to 19-seat commuter aircraft. For this reason the FAA has been working to simplify certification rules for a couple of years. I wonder about the results, though. It is always hard to step down in complexity. Rather, what happens, is modern light aircraft being develop under new, less stringent rules, like VLA and LSA. And ELA is an EASA invention intended to simplify maintainance and modifications of light aircraft, partly to alleviate the damage part M is doing. There are several things going on in EASA that shows that even within the organisation there is an awareness that they are going to far. I do not think many really would argue that EASA is a bureaucratic monster partly out of control.

Last Edited by huv at 01 Feb 09:52
huv
EKRK, Denmark
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message